Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: 6.2.1 .xsession-errors

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    This also apply to google-chrome, chromium browsers. It can be tackled the same way. It is strange though - I did not see so many XID collision errors when using midori browser which is also based on webkit - the xid collision error is there, but not as many as when using firefox or chromium based browsers

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @krishna.

    I enjoy my 200 shares of Apple stock, but I don't own any of their products.
    My shock wave seems to work ok; shows You Tube here just fine. No crashes.
    It just fills .xsession-errors up in the process.
    Some folks think it's a security hazard, and I wouldn't be surprised.
    It doesn't sound right letting a hidden file fill up with undiagnosed
    complaints.

    @mecho

    I hadn't ignored your first post, mecho. I just don't prefer to adress the
    problem that way. I prefer to keep the error messages to remind me to look
    for a more fundamental work-around. One of the posts on the 60448 threads
    ought to appeal to you; it takes each complaint one-by-one from
    /etc/X11/Xsession and trashes it. It does this with a simple link, which can
    be undone if you change your mind. Now thats elegant. Just not my taste.

    @both

    You may recall I've been waiting to observe a crash I can call my own?
    Looking for what tips my 2Gb Flash Knoppix over? Well, my ship just
    arrived. I thought I'd see what Chromium might do for me. Tried Synaptic
    and, you guessed it, no Chromium here, just a crippled system. Menu panel
    and bottom icons give me enough tools to write this, but I'll have to
    shut this rig down and start over again from the CD.

    My suspicion all along was that these crashes were self-induced. All the
    Gigabyte .xsession-errors I've read about never happened here. Like Frank,
    I did it _my way_.

    See you later, with a clean .xsession-errors.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I've learned a few things since my post #1 on .xsession-errors:

    1. This topic has an enormous history I wasn't aware of.

    2. I was surprised to discover this 'gem' in Knoppix; I'm even
    more surprised now that I discover my old reliable Lucid has some
    of the same surprises hidden there.

    3. From some of my googling I came to believe or expect that
    the build-up of these errors might explain an occasional crash
    I have from time-to-time with my 2Gb Flash Knoppix set-up. I
    no longer think that is the most likely cause in my case.
    I've never seen huge errors like some report. I'm fairly sure
    my crashes are more likely self-induced results of attempting
    operations that require more resources than I've provided.


    Similarly on my post #5, I note on closer inspection of Lucid:

    1. .xsession-errors for Lucid is as described 'typical of current-
    day Ubuntus', the errors are only those for the current boot session;
    but,

    2. .xsession-errors.old for Lucid is a _cumulative_ record of past
    errors. I can't tell if this record is edited or truncated. And,

    3. A lot of the exact same type of .xsession-errors are logged for
    Lucid as for Knoppix. Perhaps its the Debian dna.


    I still think it is useful to bring these errors out in the open
    and try to make sure they are indeed harmless rather than leave
    them hidden and ignored.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I have recently upgraded IceWeasel from 3.5.6 to 3.5.10-1. These .xsession-errors, many related to Flash video are at least much reduced, if not gone. My Knoppix 6.2.1 has, at present libgtk2.0-0 version 2.18.6-1. I'm interested in similar or different experiences on this,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested picture

Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested

$299.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested picture

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested

$129.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$99.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer

$95.00



Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces

$40.99