Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Hard Drive Recovery Knoppix Boot Problem "root@Microknoppix:/#" Screenshot Included

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Hard Drive Recovery Knoppix Boot Problem "root@Microknoppix:/#" Screenshot Included

    OK so I'm trying to load Knoppix 6.2 from a bootable CD and it seems to work but I'm getting "root@Microknoppix:/#. Here is a picture of my current screen. What do I do next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by PHMRacing View Post
    OK so I'm trying to load Knoppix 6.2 from a bootable CD and it seems to work but I'm getting "root@Microknoppix:/#. Here is a picture of my current screen. What do I do next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This is normal, but it's supposed to be replaced by a GUI (that's what "Entering runlevel 5" means.) Since that's apparently not happening, I suspect either a bad CD (common) or aberrant hardware. You can try the CD self-test with
    Code:
    knoppix testcd (or testdvd)
    There are some hardware workaround cheatcodes in a file in the KNOPPIX folder of the disk or here, as well as a handy guide on the F3 button, for use when booting (big penguin onscreen.)

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 06-16-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Bad URL

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Ok well I downloaded the 700mb version using Torrent software, and even did the md5 check on it, and it turned out fine so I figured it was good, but I guess it was not. I downloaded the 3.63gb version using Torrent software again and it works great now! But I'm still having a problem where Knoppix is not recognizing the hard drive I'm trying to recover information from. It recognizes the 30gb master drive on this computer, but not the 80gb slave drive I'm trying to recover. When I put the 80gb drive in my hard drive enclosure and plug it into a usb port (Using Windows XP), the two partitions show up, but they are not accessible without formatting them according to Windows. I was told by using Knoppix, I could set the drive up as a slave, and I would be able to recover files from it, but Knoppix is not even recognizing the partitions when I use a hard drive enclosure (usb) OR when I install it in the computer as a slave drive. . . never mind being able to access the partitions. The drive is not clicking or making any funny noises and is spinning up just fine. Any ideas why Knoppix won't recognize my hard drive?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    It seems clear that the drive is damaged - perhaps recoverably, but not with Knoppix, most likely (have you tried the GParted tool on Preferences menu? Does it see any partitions, recognize the type, etc.?) There is a long series of stuff about another recovery tool here - there are links and much discussion to peruse. I especially recommend being cautious and backing up if possible, as these are all powerful tools and could potentially damage things worse than they are now. There are other recovery disks out there, some Linux-based and some not; you might benefit from checking around some more. Commercially-available tools are often better for those with less experience, but YMMV.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    I put the drive in a usb enclosure and the drive along with its partitions show up on both Windows XP and a Mac laptop I borrowed, but I can't access the partitions from either one. But I assume if the partitions show up, the drive isn't mechanically damaged. It has to be something else that I'm not educated on. I guess I'll have to read up on the links you gave me. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    In general, if there are suspicions of different kinds of hardware failure, user space tools, including Knoppix, may do more harm than good. That partitions show up, simply means that the OS is able to read the partition table, and is no guarantee for mechanical sanity of the drive as a whole. If Knoppix can't read it, it may be an indication that even the partition table is in some way damaged.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



SKhynix 64GB DDR5 PC5-4800B SERVER Memory RAM   HMCG94MEBRA103N picture

SKhynix 64GB DDR5 PC5-4800B SERVER Memory RAM HMCG94MEBRA103N

$390.00



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99