Quote Originally Posted by r3koob View Post
I have a Toshiba 2805-5201 with the latest Knoppix loaded on HD.
HD-install is a tricky subject. See p.s. below.*

I am pretty new to the linux OS and this is my first taste of Knoppix. I am trying to use this computer to play movies on the TV and for some reason with this distro the Fn-F5 key doesn't switch over to the external monitor or TV as it would be. Is there something I can do to get this enabled? it is not a VGA output, it is the Toshiba audio/video plug to RCA cable that I need to use. Thanks in advance,
Since different manufacturers use different keystroke combos (my Gateway laptop has Fn-F4 as the means to switch on the S-video output) to activate external monitors (and other stuff as well), it's often best to use the menus to make changes like this. Try Preferences-System Settings-Display and let us know how it works.

Cheers!
Krishna

p.s. *How was this accomplished? The "Knoppix HD install" item on the Preferences menu? This is usually taken to be a special-case maneuver, mostly for people who want to re-master, or create their own version of Knoppix. Far better to do a poor-man's install, e.g.
Code:
knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1
or use the flash-install script; see the posts by Capricorny here and here for detailed explanations and how-tos on HD-install.