-

Originally Posted by
grandad
Hi Guy's. Guess I am in trouble this time and no mistake. Walted to remove Debian from my two boot system (shared with XP) made a hash of deleting Grub and ended up not being able to access anything. Fortunately I have the Knoppix Live CD and loaded it in. Need to use the Root terminal but for some reason I cannot remember the password. I have tried all those I use on Debian but to no avail. I have tried typing init=/bin/sh at boot but it does nothing just stops. I need to get into Root to do anything and without being able to bypass the password am truly stuck. Can anyone help me out? Many thanks for all and anything that can be done. Grandad
Knoppix does not have a root password unless you set one. If you boot the CD/DVD and then wait until you can type (before it finishes booting, big penguin still on screen) try this:This will give you a root terminal command line. Another option is to let it boot all the way to the desktop, then click (Main menu)-Accessories-Root Terminal. You probably will want to mount the filesystem you are trying to work on, which can be done by clicking the partitions' icon in the file manager (folder icon on the toolbar.
Cheers!
Krishna 
p.s. You might want to make a GRUB boot disk to fix the problem; Knoppix will allow you to search the web for more information and write/burn a disk.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00

Intel System Accessory AXXRMFBU5 RAID Maintenance Free Backup Unit 105-001-405
$35.19