Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wired Problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2

    Wired Problem

    Hello,
    I'm a newbie with linux and use knoppix on a USB flash drive it works but I'm not able to connect to internet.

    I input the same data I use with a Slax distro but Knoppix doesn't work.

    Herebelow I show you what I did:
    I clicked on the small terminal on the toolbar (Network Conenctions) and open it, in tag "WIRED" it show me a connection called "Auto eth0", I tried to edit this configuration but I can't the edit button is not active so I created a new connection with "ADD" and named it "Wired connection1" I input all my data (not the MAC address) in IPv4 Settings:
    Method: Manual
    and I input Address, Netmask, Gateway,DNS server

    Then a small window appears at the bottom right corner with "Connection Established, You are now connected to WIred Connection1". Then I open the internet browser "Iceweasel" and input the Google's address but after a time I received the following error "Server not found"

    Any help ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    I'm not sure what can be said - I've had similar trouble on certain connections, but with proper manual settings it worked. Perhaps there is a driver issue - why don't you post the output of
    Code:
    lspci -v
    (that's a command in a terminal window) and the network parameters you're using.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 06-20-2010 at 10:22 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1

    Wired Network Setup

    I am having the exact same problem. I have tried running an Ubuntu live CD, and I am able to configure my network. I use static IP, so I need to manually configure network settings.

    I prefer to use Knoppix, but I cannot edit the network settings. I open the network manager and click on Auto eth0, but the EDIT button is grayed out and is not available.

    Ubuntu is using NetworkManager 0.8
    Knoppix is using NetworkManager 0.7.999

    I have 2 network cards. A built-in Intel adapter and a Realtek PCI card. One of them is listed as Auto eth0 and the other is Auto eth1. I cannot edit either of them.

    Any ideas anyone?

    Brian

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Network manager is one of the most buggy thing around. Everyone has problem with it. But if you try to use 'wicd', you will notice that it has more problems compared to network manager.

    Yes you are not alone having this problem with it. There are many similiar posts on the internet. I remembered having this problem too but I can't remember what I did to fix it.

    Part of network manager configuration is stored in /etc/NetworkManager, since your network connections are not working, I suggest you do this :-

    $ sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
    $ sudo rm -rf /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*

    After that reboot and then use the GUI to re-enter your configuration again. Hopefully it will recover from the deadlock.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    One possibility is to check out what the router can do for you. I need static IP, too, and I found a way to get the router to assign static addresses based on the MAC address of the network card. Assuming your router has it, then you could use it to resolve the conflict and let the Network Manager get an "auto" address that will satisfy it (even for multiple cards on one system, or ethernet vs. wireless, for instance.) It's under Lan IP Setup - Address Reservation on my Netgear router, but it could be called something different, and hidden elsewhere in the menus on another router.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    +5

    I noticed that nm-applet claimed it was connected wirelessly through eth0. Curious, I stopped it and ran ifconfig. ifconfig called the lan eth0.

    That is wrong. Possibly a deeper problem than network-manager?

    With network-manager turned off, ifconfig said I was connected on eth0, with errors, to the lan. But I didn't test it because I am sharing service with a friend and my router has none. I sould have thought to ping it.

    # ifup

    returned ignoring non-existant interface eth0=eth0

    # ifdown returned
    interface not configured

    On restarting network-manager, it took a few tries to reconnect, which is not normal. But it did connect, on a wireless interface named eth0 .

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    So here is 1.) turn off network-manager 2.) check wireless with iwconfig and lan with ifconfig 3.) ping my router 4.) turn on network-manager 5.) check wireless with iwconfig. Interface remains eht0 for lan or wlan. (That seems basically wrong.) No connection on lan.

    Code:
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# /etc/init.d/network-manager stop 
    Stopping network connection manager: NetworkManager.
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    
    eth0      IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:""  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.452 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Bit Rate:14 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
              Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=4/5  Signal level=-59 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:2  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1e:4c:63:9f:ce  
              inet6 addr: fe80::21e:4cff:fe63:9fce/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:973 errors:657 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:6420
              TX packets:836 errors:12 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:1081116 (1.0 MiB)  TX bytes:125582 (122.6 KiB)
              Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000 
    
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:84 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:6760 (6.6 KiB)  TX bytes:6760 (6.6 KiB)
    
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# ping 192.168.2.1
    connect: Network is unreachable
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# /etc/init.d/network-manager start
    Starting network connection manager: NetworkManager.
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    
    eth0      IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"LOWRIDER"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.24 GHz  Access Point: 00:0F:B3:39:7A:5F   
              Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
              Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=4/5  Signal level=-62 dBm  Noise level=-90 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:2  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
    Last edited by evenso; 08-22-2010 at 04:29 AM.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2

    I found a solutioN

    Hi

    I ran into this forum searching for a solution for the network problem. I did however found a solution with the help of my friend. The trick lay on finding the driver name.ko they are located on
    /lib/modules/2.6.32.6/kernel/drivers/net/

    mine was for broadcom 440x the driver name is "b44.ko" so I switched to root

    $ su -

    and then typed this command
    $ modprobe b44

    wala ... network initiated and started!

    Best of luck for all of you folks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM picture

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM

$17.99



OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236 picture

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236

$549.99



Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A picture

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A

$10.99



Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good picture

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good

$21.05



Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"

$14.24



OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466 picture

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466

$19.99



OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2 picture

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2

$12.99



OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015 picture

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015

$26.98



apple oem cube 5w charger  picture

apple oem cube 5w charger

$6.99



Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter picture

Genuine OEM Apple 70W USB-C Power Adapter

$34.99