Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Dell Laptop Recovery partition (bootmgr is missing). Can Knoppix help?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Dell Laptop Recovery partition (bootmgr is missing). Can Knoppix help?

    I was trying to do a System Restore on my Dell Inspiron 1525 (it is running Vista), when an error popped up. It didn't say anything. It was just a red circle with white X. All I could do was click OK. Now it will not start. I keep getting a Bootmgr is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
    I tried to use a Vista Recovery Disk, but it didn't sove the problem. This seems to be a big problem with Vista.

    Dell doesn't send disks with the laptops. I have aksed them to mail them to me. I will have to wait and see that will really happen.
    I checked (using the prompt) and I believe that the recovery partition is still there. I can get to another 1525, if necessary.

    After much digging, I can find where someone used BartPE to get to a command prompt to tell the Restore Partition to image the C drive.

    I have used Knoppix in the past to recover files but never to fix my computer. Can I use Knoppix to get to a command prompt to try this?

    Thanks for helping out this newbie...

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Yes, Knoppix can help!

    Quote Originally Posted by NimseyLou View Post
    I was trying to do a System Restore on my Dell Inspiron 1525 (it is running Vista), when an error popped up. It didn't say anything. It was just a red circle with white X. All I could do was click OK. Now it will not start. I keep getting a Bootmgr is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
    I tried to use a Vista Recovery Disk, but it didn't sove the problem. This seems to be a big problem with Vista.

    Dell doesn't send disks with the laptops. I have aksed them to mail them to me. I will have to wait and see that will really happen.
    I checked (using the prompt) and I believe that the recovery partition is still there. I can get to another 1525, if necessary.
    There is a function you can use in the VISTA control panel (on the 2nd 1525, I mean) which will burn the recovery disks. I've seen it done, but I suppose there may be lamed versions of Vista that won't do it out there, too.
    After much digging, I can find where someone used BartPE to get to a command prompt to tell the Restore Partition to image the C drive.
    Sounds promising, but I don't know BartPE. Another user just noted here that there is at least one other option.
    I have used Knoppix in the past to recover files but never to fix my computer. Can I use Knoppix to get to a command prompt to try this?
    Backing up before starting other changes is a really good idea. But if you mean a DOS command prompt, I don't recommend using Knoppix to get there. There are plenty of options out there, including Hiren's backup info and BootCD. Knoppix can be used to do this kind of download even when the system's original OS is broken.
    Thanks for helping out this newbie...
    Hope this helps!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 06-21-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Clarity

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$288.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99