Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262

    Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto

    I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.

    Seems an overkill?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto

    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.

    Seems an overkill?
    The point was it always seemed strange to me that when Christian wrote the script he could manage to get the system on the disk but left you with the user knoppix. It bothered me so much that I set about seeing how hard it would be to have your own user at install and once I had it figured out I thought someone else might want to try it so I wrote it down. That's why it is there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Can I also write a Docs topic? How?

    I see some Docs questions that have "A??" in it and happen to know some remedy based on my experience.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Just use the edit this page at the bottom and you can edit the page actually anyone can edit the pages that's what the wiki is for. You should look at the examples it is a little strange in formating it is not like html it takes a little getting used to.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Docs:HDInstallChangeUserHowto

    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    I just went through the docs on the above subject. My question is-why go through that process when it is a hard disk install? You can always create a new user or delete a user from a hard disk install via adduser or deluser or the kuser manager.

    Seems an overkill?
    I wanted to know the same thing the first time I saw Stephen mention it. I thought "huh?" I even asked why adduser wasn't working. lol That was before I understood what he was talking about. I have been hacking the script on subsequent installs since then. Be careful tho- Somehow I borked the script once and basically locked myself out. DOH!

    Cool hack Stephen.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Stephen,

    How have you gone about creating additional users after the hdinstall? Knoppix does a pretty poor job at this. I have no problems creating a new user, but after I do this I find that there has been no home directory for that user created under /home. It's easy enough to fix this, but errors still seem to persist - espcially regarding permisions. I have essentially gotten it to work, but I was wondering if there is a method that you are others have used to streamline this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Stephen,

    How have you gone about creating additional users after the hdinstall? Knoppix does a pretty poor job at this. I have no problems creating a new user, but after I do this I find that there has been no home directory for that user created under /home. It's easy enough to fix this, but errors still seem to persist - espcially regarding permisions. I have essentially gotten it to work, but I was wondering if there is a method that you are others have used to streamline this.
    I used to create my own user with no problems using adduser. Which command do you use adduser or useradd IIRC you have to tell useradd to make the directory and copy the skel files whereas adduser does this automatically.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Stephen,

    You were right on the mark. I was using useradd. adduser works great. Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Documentation /docs
    By ibrewale in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 02:22 AM
  2. Docs Down... How Long?
    By jMon54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 04:03 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 10:43 PM
  4. How do I get Office.org docs to print?
    By dd74 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:40 AM
  5. German Docs translation.
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2003, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco C9200-48P-A Catalyst 48-Port PoE+ Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-A Catalyst 48-Port PoE+ Switch

$749.00



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only) picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points - Tested & Working (AP Only)

$89.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig picture

Cisco Catalyst C9300X-NM-2C 2-Port 40G/100G Multi Gig

$775.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery No Back C1-F3 picture

Cisco IP Phone CP-8821 No Battery No Back C1-F3

$155.00