-

Originally Posted by
PattiMichell
Is there a way to get KDE3 on Knoppix 6.2? I'm reading the Knoppix Hacks book, and it keeps referring to things like drive icons on the desktop and all the easy configurations that are gone with KDE4. And though pretty, KDE4 just isn't as flexible as KDE3, so I'd like it back
TIA!
Patti
Hello! I'm afraid that book's a bit dated, though of course still nice to have, and very useful with the older Knoppix release. Drive icons are now within the File Manager, pcmanfm (big folder icon on the toolbar.) What configurations were easy before and hard now? Maybe we can point you to something that seems less than obvious.
I agree with you, KDE-4 seems like a step in a strange direction, but LXDE is sweeter and faster, IMHO. FWIW, when I opened the Synaptic package manager and did a Search from the toolbar icon for KDE, I saw some KDE-3 stuff (that wasn't installed.) It depends on which repositories you have enabled, of course, but if you don't see it there then a bit of Googling, plus knoppix desktop=kde should do the trick.
Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes.
Cheers!
Krishna 
p.s. You can also download packages manually, and if you want to use a GUI tool to install them, just start gdebi from the LXterm window (also on the toolbar, near the file manager.) There are also the command line tools apt-get and good ol' dpkg, plus aptitude. I recommend the Wikipedia article if you'd like to know more than I do about that!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP EliteBook 830 G8 Core I7-1185G7 3.00GHz Laptop 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD
$250.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98