Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Error 17 at GRUB boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11

    Error 17 at GRUB boot

    I installed, with no errors, Adrianne Knoppix. Everything fine till reboot. Rebooted, and got
    Stage 1.5
    Booting

    Error 17:
    I went back and looked at the grub files and the names and addresses appeared to be right, but error 17, is file not found, but it doesn't list WHICH FILE, Anyone with similar install issues?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by pebl View Post
    I installed, with no errors, Adrianne Knoppix.
    Q 1. What form of install did you use? Do I understand that the hard disk was involved, possibly with some re-partitioning? Or did you perhaps use the flash-install utility, and/or flash drive?
    Q 2. Are you (or someone in your household) visually impaired? Adrianne is a screen-reader version of Knoppix that is not right for everyone.
    Everything fine till reboot. Rebooted, and got
    Stage 1.5
    Booting

    Error 17:
    I went back and looked at the grub files and the names and addresses appeared to be right, but error 17, is file not found, but it doesn't list WHICH FILE, Anyone with similar install issues?
    Usually, it makes sense to "install Knoppix-Linux to hard drive" only if you plan to modify the system and re-master, e.g. make your own version of Knoppix (which is fine, the more the merrier.) I hope you haven't lost functionality! In the event that you intended to dual-boot Linux and (say) Windows, your problem might have been caused by a difficulty with the "mode" of the hard drive; see the Ubuntu problem/fix summary if so.

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    p.s. There is an option to copy the CD/DVD files to the hard drive, e.g.
    Code:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1
    which would copy to the first partition on the first hard drive; after that first time, you could boot the CD and type
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    This gives you the speed of a hard drive (minus a little overhead for decompressing the filesystem, etc.) while avoiding the difficulty of "permanent" partitioning, and allowing Knoppix to co-exist with some other OS's filesystem (but not NTFS, hopefully - that's considered risky.) This can be made into a normal-seeming multi-boot setup as described here.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    11
    1. The hard drive is involved. I'm trying to install it on my SCSI (0) which is at /dev/sdkx. Just to be safe, I used gparted to wipe the drive and created a swap and root system with a boot area on root. This was the FULL Knoppix 6.2.1 CD install.
    2. I tried Adrianne and it's really annoying to listen to. I turned the volume off. I installed that, rebooted, the 4 penguins came up and it froze. No response from keyboard at all. Can't get any log files.
    3. No, I'm strictly an "IX" guy. Don't want anything to do with Windows at all. This is not a dual boot either. Strictly one OS, one boot partition. Root and two swap area take up an entire drive. I am willing to put the time in to completely convert all my software installed previously to what Knoppix requires. I need the upgrade.
    4. Trying to install Knoppix FULL onto single disk now and boot. It's not even got GRUB done right. In my scheme (setup), I answered what would be /dev/sdk0 as swap, sdk1 as root and boot. I just booted and it's trying to load boot from root (hd4.1) which should be (with my pseudo-SCSI) items, hd(10,1) or if it's just looking at the SCSI hd's, should be hd(0,1). Installation goes off with out a problem.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$41.19



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$60.00