Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't run KNOPPIX v6.2.1 CD's VirtualBox v3.1.2 and v3.2.4?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    An Ant Farm
    Posts
    36

    Question Can't run KNOPPIX v6.2.1 CD's VirtualBox v3.1.2 and v3.2.4?

    Hello! http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3...reenshot1m.png for a screen capture when I was trying to start a new image to install a new Windows XP Pro., but I couldn't even boot it up. I also tried upgrading to v3.2.4 through apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, but that did not help and showed me Python v2.6 and its minimal packages errors. Is there something wrong with KNOPPIX's VirtualBox or am I doing this wrong? Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Hello! http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3...reenshot1m.png for a screen capture when I was trying to start a new image to install a new Windows XP Pro., but I couldn't even boot it up. I also tried upgrading to v3.2.4 through apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, but that did not help and showed me Python v2.6 and its minimal packages errors. Is there something wrong with KNOPPIX's VirtualBox or am I doing this wrong? Thank you in advance.
    I will not be able to pin point your problem as I don't use knoppix 6.2.1. Nevertheless, there are something useful to note, ie virtualbox requires some kernel drivers to work. Until your environment is set up suitable to compile the kernel drivers, otherwise you should not upgrade your virtualbox. Another thing to take note is that as at 6.2, the start up/booting script does not start the vbox driver, so you have to customize it anyway which you like, to start up the vbox script located in /etc/init.d, which I think is called virtualbox-ose, depends on the version of vbox you are using. So either you do '/etc/init.d/virtualbox-ose start' in /etc/rc.local, or /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig or something equivalent, you will not have vbox running properly.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I think you should do the following in order to get the newest version of Virtualbox OSE in the Debian repository:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install module-assistant
    apt-get -t sid install virtualbox-ose
    apt-get -t sid install virtualbox-ose-qt
    apt-get -t sid install virtualbox-ose-source
    m-a prepare
    m-a a-i virtualbox-ose
    There is a web page: VirtualBox OSE Debian install howto http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26198

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Personally I think it's not worth the trouble to use the ose version. There are a few features missing from the ose version, if my memory serves me right, the USB attach function is missing from the OSE version. I prefer the so-called PUEL version.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99