-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Tattered Phoenix
I am not sure what the terminal window is, I changed the boot on my computer so that when I turn it on Knoppix starts up-shows the Knoppix desktop, then loads to a black page with a number list...I wasn't sure if I was to select one of them to get the desktop icons. Am I to sectect one of these and then use the command code, I am not sure, thanks so much for your help.
It seems that you have got the German version of Adriane downloaded, not the English Knoppix we have as "default" here. Still, for your purpose, you can do what you need with that, I think. At boot, you get a Knoppix prompt for some seconds - there you can type Knoppix, to get the graphical version (Adriane is for visually impaired people) But you have to be quisk at starting typing. I don't think you have seen the ordinary graphics desktop at all - that resembles Windows a bit, with a main menu icon to the left on the bottom status line, and then PCman and Terminal icons, which we have talked about, following.
Edit: Didn't see that krishna.m had already answered!
Last edited by Capricorny; 06-30-2010 at 06:19 AM.
-

Originally Posted by
Capricorny
It seems that you have got the German version of Adriane downloaded, not the English Knoppix we have as "default" here. Still, for your purpose, you can do what you need with that, I think. At boot, you get a Knoppix prompt for some seconds - there you can type
Knoppix, to get the graphical version (Adriane is for visually impaired people) But you have to be quisk at starting typing. I don't think you have seen the ordinary graphics desktop at all - that resembles Windows a bit, with a main menu icon to the left on the bottom status line, and then PCman and Terminal icons, which we have talked about, following.
Edit: Didn't see that krishna.m had already answered!

I missed the part about German; you'll need to use the following at boot to switch to English: I'm not sure if that takes care of the keyboard difference as well - you may need at the end of the knoppix line - see the documentation.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Thanks Krishna andCapricorny for the help, I have just made a new cd with the english version of Knoppix- KNOPPIX-ADRIANE_V6.2CD-2009-11-18-EN.iso, when I downloaded it the first time there was a whole bunch of downloads to choose from and I wasn't sure what one to choose, I have yet to try and use it, I am afraid of messing up my computer more than it already is but typing something wrong.
Also I have another question, I bought one of those external hard drives that backs up computers, but windows vista isn't working on my computer I can not log in and tell it to starting backing files up, is there any way I could use either knoppix, or the Adriane to program to tell my computer to copy files to the external hard drive with out major writing to the hard drive?
Thanks so much for all of your help.
-
If you are now able to boot to the GUI desktop, you should be able to access the external drive with no trouble. Getting to the data on the Windows drive can be a little more trouble, since Windows could have messed up the filesystem on that internal drive. I suggest booting the CD, starting the file manager, and then clicking the drive icon for the internal drive.
If you see the folders for the Windows partition, go ahead and plug in the new drive, click its' icon when it shows up, and then proceed to drag-and-drop some useful files to the new drive. Once you've backed up the goodies (My Documents, email, etc.) you can then try your hand at repairing the broken Windows stuff. If it's too big a job, I'd say at that point that it's time to use a (blow the data away) Windows "rescue" disk or boot-option.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
I am using the new CD right now, its in English this time, I forgot to type Knoppix when it was first loading up, so its on the Adriane program. I was wondering if I could just use this program to get at files since its a program for the blind it seems to be a way of your computer without windows...it has a list of things, one is file manager...just wondering if not, I will have to reboot and try again, thanks for your help.
-

Originally Posted by
Tattered Phoenix
I am using the new CD right now, its in English this time, I forgot to type Knoppix when it was first loading up, so its on the Adriane program. I was wondering if I could just use this program to get at files since its a program for the blind it seems to be a way of your computer without windows...it has a list of things, one is file manager...just wondering if not, I will have to reboot and try again, thanks for your help.
Sure. You can also download one that defaults to the GUI. The command knoppix is only needed when it's an Adrianne version that defaults to that interface instead.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
I got into Knoppix, now I'm not so sure what to do next.......I am not sure what icons are the hard drive icons. It loaded to a desktop with mountains and clouds..and has one icon on it that reads my documents, thats the only icon on the desktop, then there is a tool bar at the bottom that has some icons on it..not sure what there are all for...I can see one is for volume, and one for open office, what should I do next?
And also, no that I'm in Knoppix, is there a way to tell my computer to start backing up files on my to an external hard drive?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$490.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$325.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99