Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Has enyone gotten 6.2.1 past the boot screen?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Has enyone gotten 6.2.1 past the boot screen?

    I have tried to get the live cd to boot to 4 different PC/Laptops and the furthest I got was the boot screen loading the snd drivers. But it stops at different places for each PC.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesterton View Post
    I have tried to get the live cd to boot to 4 different PC/Laptops and the furthest I got was the boot screen loading the snd drivers. But it stops at different places for each PC.
    Yes, Knoppix 6.2.1 is a working version! This is almost certainly caused by a bad disk - burning software seems to malfunction regularly, based on widespread reports of difficulty. It can also be caused by a bad download - did you check the md5 sum to see if there was a good ISO file to burn? Also, since you're getting it to boot, you can try one of these at the boot prompt (big penguin onscreen):
    Code:
    knoppix testcd
    or
    knoppix testdvd
    There are a number of recommendations on how to correct this, including using slower burn speed, and (assuming you use Windows to do the burning) killing the Explorer process before you burn as described here. You must have a good ISO, and the burning has to produce a disk that will pass the self-test; the results you've had leave little room for doubt that at least one of those conditions has not been met.

    Hope that helps!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I think it has something to do with knoppix not cleaning the configuration files properly on exit. On my instalation whenever I boot on another PC, I have to manually clean fstab after boot and then issue the rebuildfstab command to regenerate proper fstab config for the drives in the new PC. May be this happens with some other configuration files too. I had no problems with xorg.conf so far or anything else, but it is a possibility

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    I think it has something to do with knoppix not cleaning the configuration files properly on exit. On my instalation whenever I boot on another PC, I have to manually clean fstab after boot and then issue the rebuildfstab command to regenerate proper fstab config for the drives in the new PC. May be this happens with some other configuration files too. I had no problems with xorg.conf so far or anything else, but it is a possibility
    I have to disagree. My reading of this report is that this is a new user, trying to get a CD to boot. Also, any file corruption would be from a badly burned CD, or bad download, absent a persistent store, which I don't believe has been created yet in this case.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Yes, you are right. I did not pay attention to the fact that it is Live CD not USB with persistent image.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    OK, thanks. I'll try a new burn. I did md5 it and got a matching number. I used InfraRecorder to burn the image. I'll slow down the burn or try to burn using a different PC.

    Thanks again!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the help. As stated, it checked out with md5, so the dl was good. I ran the burn at 1.7x and got a good copy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30