Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: NTFS-3G instead of NTFS-3G-NG

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198

    NTFS-3G instead of NTFS-3G-NG

    Is it possible to substitute ntfs-3g-ng with ntfs-3g and take advantage of the regular updates without braking the system. The ntfs-3g-ng is never updated. I tried to do it, but pcmanfm won't mount drives afterwards.
    My question is - is there any config file which can be reconfigured to use ntfs-3g and have pcmanfm mount normally

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I think that the program ntfs-3g used is the one inside the initial ramdisk minirt.gz. Thus you have to update your initial ramdisk with an updated ntfs-3g. This new program, I think, has to be a statically linked executable file which may not use any call to a shared library. I do not think that the Debian packages include such a file.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I don't quite understand your answer, but for it means if I don't understand the answer then I should not touch it. Thanks anyway

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2
    well I went already with the updates now I can't even revert back to ntfs-3g-ng it's not showing up in synaptic and ntfs-config is not holding settings for external HDs argh!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I also broke my system trying to do it, but I keep a back-up of my entire knoppix usb under windows and it was easy for me to restore to the previous working state. I can try and repackage ntfs-3g-ng from my instalation for you and upload it somewhere, but I am not sure if it would work. This is somewhat modified version of the original ntfs-3g and I can not figure what the difference is

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    ntfs-ng, despite the name 'ng' ( next generation ), is actually less recent compared to the ntfs-3g maintained by Tuxera. For your NTFS integrity, please don't use ntfs-ng.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Thank you for reply kl522, but that's exactly what we are trying to do. Substitute ntfs-3g-ng with ntfs-3g.
    Knoppix comes with ntfs-3g-ng by default and there are no updates for it.
    The thing is that after installing ntfs-3g, pcmanfm won't mount ntfs drives anymore. There is Arch Linux link which I think would be helpful, but I did not try it.
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCManFM
    I would need some free time to try and see if it's working

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    OK you try it out and let us know. For me I have also completey removed ntfs-ng. I have also removed pcmanfm. I am using pcmanfm version 2. But the pcmanfm mounting ntfs thing is still not very robust. Mounting from root scripts/commands is not a problem but mounting from pcmanfm can sometimes fail. I don't quite bother to fix it, since don't plug in and plug out NTFS formatted USB.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    @kl522

    I tested the new ntfs-3g just as I promised.It works just fine with a little tweak to /usr/sbin/rebuildfstab.
    Turns out that the new ntfs-3g is incompatible with some of the options in fstab which rebuildfstab generates.
    Line 104 in rebuldfstab reads ntfs*) options="${options},umask=000";; where ${options}=noauto,users,exec
    I changed the line to read ntfs*) options="ro,noauto,umask=000";; I added ro because I only need ntfs mounted in read only mode, removed ${options} and added noauto. Now pcmanfm mounts ntfs just fine
    I guess the option users is the incompatible option, not 100% sure though, because I removed both users and exec

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    After reading your post, I go and try it again, you know what, I don't have the problem of unable to mount ntfs anymore with pcmanfm2 ! I don't know what has caused the difference, perhaps due to some of the newer libraries I upgraded. So since it is not broken now, I am not going to fix it !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB

$160.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 picture

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2

$200.00