Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: NTFS-3G instead of NTFS-3G-NG

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    As a side note, you know what the pcmanfm 0.9.7 is still kind of odd, after you eject the removable media, the right hand side is still displaying the icons of the files on the ejected volume.

    I read somewhere that the author of pcmanfm is a full time medical doctor. Kind of interesting.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I am talking about NTFS-3G and the latest version of the old pcmanfm 0.5.2. Sorry for the misunderstanding I did not test the new pcmanfm2 as it is still incomplete and I did not upgrade to it

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I installed pcmanfm 0.9.7-1 from debian testing
    and I'm not too happy with it, because

    1. Mine is missing a capability to load and tweak the desktop
    cube background in compiz that pcmanfm 0.5-3 from the
    original 6.2.1 setup; the original set-up suits me, but
    I can't change it anymore;

    2. Mine won't mount ntfs volumes, but I'd rather it didn't
    anyway, noting some comments I've seen even here;

    3. Mine has one menu selection, applications, that's a lock-up.
    I have no idea what the author had in mind; and

    4. Working with Synaptic, it looks too scary (to me) to try to
    revert to the earlier pcmanfm, because some wholesale lxde
    changes are involved.


    FWIW, I think pcmanfm and lxde have the same author.
    Also, FWIW I have ntfs-3g-ng not ntfs-3g. If that's not the
    6.2.1 original, then this change must have occurred unbidden
    with the 'upgrade' to pcmanfm 0.9.7-1.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I think you are missing the point of this thread. It is about upgrading ntfs-3g. The version of ntfs-3g with the suffix ng is not upgradeable that's why I was looking for a way to change to the original ntfs-3g supported by tuxera and updated regularly. Since it is a crucial driver it is very important to get all the updates that released.
    You can revert back to the old pcmanfm - just download it from debian and use dpkg -i to install it over the new one.I don't think you will encounter any problems

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    For anyone who wants to revert back to the old pcmanfm here is a link to the latest pcmanfm1 version
    http://universo.canaima.softwarelibr...029-1_i386.deb

    Notice 0.5-3 is older version then 0.5.2
    This is about the only link I can find for the latest pcmanfm1 updated in 31-october-2009.This is the one I am using too

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    OK sorry I am the one who bring in the topic of pcmanfm2. But I have my reason :-
    pcmanfm there is no more development on it, it's buggy and very "unpredictable" - it's as bad as 'ntfs-ng'. So if you are using 'pcmanfm' with 'ntfs-ng', it's bad combined with bad. I am using pcmanfm2, despite making noise about it, I think it's still better than pcmanfm.

    Next. The older and dead program for mounting ntfs is called 'ntfs-ng', it's not called 'ntfs-3g-ng'. There is no 'ntfs-3g-ng'.

    'ntfs-ng' = second generation
    'ntfs-3g' = third generation

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Depends on the knoppix version you are using - in 6.2 it is called ntfs-3g-ng
    Anyway I tried the new pcmanfm and I found it to be still very buggy,so I went back to the old one, which works perfect for me. I can wait a while longer until the new ones becomes stable enough
    Last edited by mecho; 07-24-2010 at 11:39 PM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    And I am sorry Utu and kl522 - I did not mean to offend anyone. Probably the way I express myself in english sounds a bit strange. My personal apologies to both of you if you felt offended in any way. I certainly did not mean to

  9. #19
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    For anyone who wants to revert back to the old pcmanfm here is a link to the latest pcmanfm1 version
    http://universo.canaima.softwarelibr...029-1_i386.deb

    Notice 0.5-3 is older version then 0.5.2
    This is about the only link I can find for the latest pcmanfm1 updated in 31-october-2009.This is the one I am using too
    Could this function not be done in the Synaptic Package Manager, as well? It seems like you could just search for "pcman" and find all the stuff related to that, then go back to the previous version.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals

$450.00



Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage picture

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage

$249.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer

$94.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS picture

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS

$35.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer Boots Up / Floppy Disk Stuck

$99.99



Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces

$40.99



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99