Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to install an External Backback hard drive device using knoppix?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    How to install an External Backback hard drive device using knoppix?

    Hi,
    I am currently running knoppix 6.2 on my computer, and want to install/set up my external hard back up device on my computer, plugged in it shows up in the PC file manager, but needs to be installed and told to back up files before it will, it shows up in file manager and shows all its folders, on being setup, and when I try to open it up it asks for a command code and I am not sure what to type in...thank so much for any help.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    I'm not sure what that command code would be. There's a brief description of backing up that I just posted here, for your viewing enjoyment.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    thanks fo reply, the link doesn't work, what can I do to setup/install this program?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Basically, you will have to manually copy the files from your computer to the external drive, by dragging and dropping icons between windows or right clicking on the files etc. The external drive is not "installed" as such, but is ready to use when you plug it in (after booting).

    There are a number of copying and backup tools available in Knoppix that can be run from a terminal , open a terminal and type: man rsync for a manual page for one of them.

    You can also download a graphical front end for rsync (Grsync) using the Synaptic Package Manager in the Preferences menu. Remember to Reload Package Information in the Edit Tab before serching for it. It will appear in the Internet menu after installation.

    Good Luck.

  5. #5
    ok, so I can just cut and paste files to it with out installing it, thanks for the help. Now I just need to find a way to access my hard drive, I can see the hard drive icon but it just gives me an error message when I click on it, to get to my files I want to save.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Can you paste the text of the error message here so we can see what's going on?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hmm, wasn't following the other thread. Indeed Hiren's or some other bootable media with chkdsk would be your best bet at this point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream GXP2160 Enterprise HD 6 Line VoIP Phone - Black picture

Grandstream GXP2160 Enterprise HD 6 Line VoIP Phone - Black

$90.00



Yealink SIP-T46U Black Unified Firmware Enhanced SIP Phone - VoIP phone used picture

Yealink SIP-T46U Black Unified Firmware Enhanced SIP Phone - VoIP phone used

$59.99



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Ubiquiti UniFi VoIP UVP picture

Ubiquiti UniFi VoIP UVP

$85.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99