Go to the Debian Knoppix list and ask Klaus Knopper directly.
I have a hard disk Knoppix installation. Recently it has stopped allowing me to mount the other hard disk (the one Knoppix is not on) or USB devices. The message I get is,
"Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so"
If I boot from my Knoppix live-CD (the CD I used to make my hard disk installation) everything works fine.
Would appreciate any ideas.
Go to the Debian Knoppix list and ask Klaus Knopper directly.
Too little information was provided. You should at least provide the command you use to mount the harddisk, and the corresponding dmesg log. I suspect it is likely a matter of /etc/fstab corrupted resulting in errors in commands such as 'mount something' ( ie a mount commands which takes it's parameters from /etc/fstab ). Ask in debian knoppix list is not a bad choice but this certainly does not demand a direct attention from anybody in particular.![]()
The reason I suggested going to the Debian list, is that a very large fraction of the help-messages here are about HD installs. Klaus Knopper seems to be quite content with the present situation, so I think he should at least get the inquiries we are not qualified to tackle.
If HD installs and live versions are supposed to work the same way, this problem should not occur, and if they are not, the differences should be clearly stated somewhere.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15
Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$199.00
Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99