Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Trouble playing mp4 video

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Trouble playing mp4 video

    I'm feeling a bit stuck on this one, so I'm throwing it out for ideas. I downloaded a hour-long video that I can't see when I play it in any of the video players, including SMplayer, which gives this info on the video:

    Code:
    Resolution    640 x 480
    Aspect ratio 1.3333
    Format         avc1
    Bitrate          0 kbps
    Frames per second      29.970
    Selected codec            ffh264
    I'm also attaching a screenshot re: video codec, which I suspect is the trouble. Anybody got an inspiration?

    Krishna
    p.s. Kaffeine doesn't even play the audio, like most of them; just croaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    ...I can't see when I play it in any of the video players, including SMplayer, which gives this info on the video:

    Code:
    ..
    Selected codec            ffh264
    ...
    p.s. Kaffeine doesn't even play the audio, like most of them; just croaks.
    It's not the fault of the players. It seems all the players are somehow and someway relate back to mplayer. What is missing is actually the necessary codec library. I am not the codec expert but I suspect you will probably need 'libavcodec' or others. It's also useful to download the w32codecs. I used to have problem with video files, but after install all the codec libraries, I don't seem to encounter a single problem with video playback anymore.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    It's not the fault of the players. It seems all the players are somehow and someway relate back to mplayer. What is missing is actually the necessary codec library. I am not the codec expert but I suspect you will probably need 'libavcodec' or others. It's also useful to download the w32codecs. I used to have problem with video files, but after install all the codec libraries, I don't seem to encounter a single problem with video playback anymore.
    I have the codec library, as shown in Synaptic:
    ffmpeg codec library

    This is the codec library from the ffmpeg project. It supports most existing encoding formats (MPEG, DivX, MPEG4, AC3, DV...).

    This package contains a Debian-specific version of the libavcodec shared object that should only be used by Debian packages.
    Do you have a recommended procedure for installing/using the Windows codecs?

    Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 07-06-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Formatting

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    The codecs world is a jungle, even if you have libavcodec, the versions will also have impact on the compatibility and suitability.

    Here is a link about the codecs :-

    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html

    To install the w32codecs, I suggest you try to find the debian package for it ( .deb) . Then you can use 'dpkg' or equivalent to install it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Another way of keeping the codecs current is to upgrade the 'mplayer'.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    It seems to me from the initial message that the movie is encoded in AVCL and SMPlayer has tried to use H264 and failed.

    I have never heard of AVCL before so googled for: avcl movie

    It seems a weird one - nothing from wikipedia comes up! On the basis of a few random headers it looks as if it might be popular in Japan as a high definition movie format.

    I don't think you are going to find an AVCL codec amongst the Windows collection and perhaps not amongst any collection - it does not seem to be popular enough here in the West.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    Update to my previous post.

    I may have misread the earlier screen. avc1 and not AVCL. If so, then avc1 is another name for h264 (used by vnc media player apparently). Now I don't know why it is not playing! I would try vnc player. This does seem to play just about anything - when all else fails!

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    Update to my previous post.

    I may have misread the earlier screen. avc1 and not AVCL. If so, then avc1 is another name for h264 (used by vnc media player apparently). Now I don't know why it is not playing! I would try vnc player. This does seem to play just about anything - when all else fails!
    I assume you mean VLC - which is my default player. I just got a bunch of info on the movie from SMplayer.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    As mentioned I am not the codecs experts, but maybe you can try to post the output of this :-
    $ mplayer -vc help |grep 264

    On my computer, this is what I get :-

    Code:
    $ mplayer -vc help |grep 264
    ffh264      ffmpeg    working   FFmpeg H.264  [h264]
    ffh264vdpau ffmpeg    working   FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU)  [h264_vdpau]
    coreavcwindows dshow     working   CoreAVC H.264 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/  [CoreAVCDecoder.ax]
    vssh264     dshow     working   VSS H.264 New  [vsshdsd.dll]
    vssh264old  vfw       working   VSS H.264 Old  [vssh264.dll]
    It seems I have both the ffmpeg h264 codec as well as vssh264 codec in the form of win32.dll.

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    As mentioned I am not the codecs experts, but maybe you can try to post the output of this :-
    $ mplayer -vc help |grep 264

    On my computer, this is what I get :-

    Code:
    $ mplayer -vc help |grep 264
    ffh264      ffmpeg    working   FFmpeg H.264  [h264]
    ffh264vdpau ffmpeg    working   FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU)  [h264_vdpau]
    coreavcwindows dshow     working   CoreAVC H.264 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/  [CoreAVCDecoder.ax]
    vssh264     dshow     working   VSS H.264 New  [vsshdsd.dll]
    vssh264old  vfw       working   VSS H.264 Old  [vssh264.dll]
    It seems I have both the ffmpeg h264 codec as well as vssh264 codec in the form of win32.dll.
    I got it working! It took a bit of searching to find the w32codecs.deb archive for lennie, which I assumed would be the right one. Anyway, I found it here and downloaded, then installed with Gdebi. The command+output you requested is here:
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ mplayer -vc help |grep 264
    ffh264      ffmpeg    working   FFmpeg H.264  [h264]
    ffh264vdpau ffmpeg    working   FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU)  [h264_vdpau]
    vssh264     dshow     working   VSS H.264 New  [vsshdsd.dll]
    vssh264old  vfw       working   VSS H.264 Old  [vssh264.dll]
    
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
    I'll check after I post this to see what's in there (that doesn't do the job for me) without my persistent store.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung (8X16GB) 128GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA-RE2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (8X16GB) 128GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA-RE2-12 Registered ECC Memory DDR4

$849.99



Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory

$2150.00



Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM

$114.95



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35