Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: problem reading ntfs

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16

    problem reading ntfs

    Hi!

    I have a problem for reading my ntfs partition. (I just want to read not write, I know this is possible)

    I get /mnt/hda1 but it's empty....
    What should I do?

    Config: Toshiba satellite laptop/knoppix 3.2 hdinstall

    Thank you for your precious help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    OK so you do something like this:

    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    cd /mnt/hda1
    ls


    If the drive mounted without errors you should see something there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    okay it worked! I can now access my ntfs partition.

    I logged on as root to mount. Now I can't figure out how to give my user account the right to read hda1. I tried (as user) right click on hda1>properties>read +I checked the "apply to subfolders" box but that didn't work..

    Thanks for helping a newbie

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by tyiooo
    I tried (as user) right click on hda1>properties>read +I checked the "apply to subfolders" box but that didn't work..

    Thanks for helping a newbie
    user cannot change permissions unless user owns whatever you're trying to change permissions on. Try it as root.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    OH I was wrong to write "(as user)"in my previous message. I tried as root to change permissions for my user account to be able to access my hda1 (ntfs partition).
    Sorry I was probably tired but I really don't know how to change permissions even as root..I tried again with a right click on the hda1 >properties>permissions but it still doesn't work

    Thanks again for your help

    Tyio
    [/u]

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by tyiooo
    OH I was wrong to write "(as user)"in my previous message. I tried as root to change permissions for my user account to be able to access my hda1 (ntfs partition).
    Sorry I was probably tired but I really don't know how to change permissions even as root..I tried again with a right click on the hda1 >properties>permissions but it still doesn't work

    Thanks again for your help

    Tyio
    [/u]
    Try as root in a console window chown user_name.user_name /mnt/hda1 to change the permission to the user for the partition.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    I tried and I first tought it worked because the hda1 permissions checkboxes had been checked but I couldn't see any subfolder..

    Is there something else to try?

    Thank you

    tyio

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    I tried again chown user_name.user_name /mnt/hda1
    but I still can't use my ntfs partition...

    Thnak you for your help

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    Ok I found this thread about ntfs on knoppix as user
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...highlight=ntfs

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    No this finally didn't solve my problem.
    Please someone help me!

    I can't get access to my ntfs drive from the user account!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Viewing and reading Windows NTFS Drives?
    By Chris Lee in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 05:11 PM
  2. reading ntfs from knoppix
    By enraged in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 05:27 AM
  3. NTFS problem
    By stuart_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 03:47 PM
  4. Problem reading existing partitions
    By kgray1980 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2003, 10:03 PM
  5. Problem reading NTFS partition
    By eliashan in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400 Desktop RAM Memory M378A1K43CB2-CRC picture

Samsung 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400 Desktop RAM Memory M378A1K43CB2-CRC

$94.95



Samsung 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400 288 Desktop RAM Memory M378A1K43CB2-CRC picture

Samsung 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-2400 288 Desktop RAM Memory M378A1K43CB2-CRC

$94.95



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



SK Hynix 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Memory HMA81GU6JJR8N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Memory HMA81GU6JJR8N-VK

$89.95



Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16

$159.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S  2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory picture

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory

$27.95



G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4-3200 288-Pin DIMM XMP 2.0 F4-3200C16S-32GVK picture

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4-3200 288-Pin DIMM XMP 2.0 F4-3200C16S-32GVK

$149.99



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99