Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Newbie here...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Newbie here...

    Hello. I'm a newbie from NC USA and I have some questions. I downloaded the knoppix 6.2.1 release 2010-01-31 and put it on a dvd. i would appreciate any replies to my questions.

    How do I get it to stop talking? I don't want it talking everytime I mouse-over or click on something.

    I used iceweasel 3.5.6 to try to connect to my wireless network. it says "connection established. you are now connected to dlinkwireless. But when I try to browse the internet I cannot. I get a page not found error.

    Thanks for any help and I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I learn more about knoppix.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by jones28786 View Post
    Hello. I'm a newbie from NC USA and I have some questions. I downloaded the knoppix 6.2.1 release 2010-01-31 and put it on a dvd. i would appreciate any replies to my questions.

    How do I get it to stop talking? I don't want it talking everytime I mouse-over or click on something.
    Did you get the 'Adrianne' version for visually-impaired folks? It bugs me, too. At boot time (big penguin onscreen), you can override the default and force the regular GUI interface as follows:
    Code:
    knoppix
    If that fixes it, just download the non-Adrianne version (it can be done by tweaking, but it's easier by far, IMHO, to just get the right one.)
    I used iceweasel 3.5.6 to try to connect to my wireless network. it says "connection established. you are now connected to dlinkwireless. But when I try to browse the internet I cannot. I get a page not found error.
    That sounds like a DNS problem. I recommend manually setting it in the network manager, if you can get the DNS Server numbers (depends on your ISP - look.on their website or call in to get them) you can set them. To look at the setup and change it, right-click the icon on the taskbar to the left of the clock (probably looks like a staircase once connected.) You'll need a "persistent store" to avoid having to set it every time, which means flash memory or hard drive space.
    Thanks for any help and I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I learn more about knoppix.
    Hope that helps!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER  picture

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER

$39.99



Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu... picture

Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu...

$149.15



Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard picture

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard

$17.99



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99