-
Booting Knoppix 6.2.1 from a USB on a Windows XP hangs?
My Gateway Windows XP laptop has stopped booting, and I needed to recover some of my data before reformatting it. The CD drive doesn't work, so I purchased a live version of Knoppix 6.2.1 on a 2GB flash drive to try and boot from there.
I was able to change the boot order and get it to recognize the USB, but I have a problem after that. Initially, I get a UNetbootin loader menu, where the options are as follows:
Default
adriane
knoppix
fb1024x768
fb1280x1024
fb800x600
memtest
dos
failsafe
I select "knoppix" and I can see the Linux logo at the top left hand corner, as well as all the functions loading. I get to a prompt asking me whether I want to create a file for saving my personal files, and it says I can leave it blank if I want to and skip that step.
Finally, I get to a black screen with xauth: creating new authority file /home/knoppix/.Xauthority on top, and (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" on the bottom, where it hangs for a long time, at least 15 minutes by my last count. I still haven't been able to go beyond that point.
My question is, what is it doing during that time? Is it erasing the HDD on my laptop because I hadn't specified a file size for my personal files earlier? Is it just frozen? I read elsewhere that it should take no more than 10 minutes to boot into Knoppix, so I got worried when it took so long and nothing changed. The cursor doesn't blink during this time either.
Is there any other option I can try to boot from? Such as failsafe or Default? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung T5 EVO 4TB Portable SSD USB 3.2 External
$300.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 FE+ 12.4" Wi‑Fi 128GB 8GB RAM Tablet Silver
$255.00

Samsung Power Button Board w/ Ribbon Flex Cable, Black, EBR86049709
$60.00

(Lot Of 10) 8GB DDR4 RAM 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop Memory Mix Speed Mix Brand
$299.99

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping
$50.00

Samsung T7 Portable SSD (MU-PC2T0T) 2TB Gray USB-C
$252.00