Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: DHCP ok but...

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16

    DHCP ok but...

    Hello!

    My problem is weird : I got DHCP running ok, I can get connected to certain websites only, most of the web adress typed in the browser do not display anything (time out) although others load fast... I'm sure it's a knoppix problem.

    When I run netcardconfig, DHCP is accepted. I tried to configue manually netcardconfig, same result.

    I also tried to set mozilla on http 1.0 instead of 1.1 and uncheck "keep alive" but same result...

    config: Toshiba laptop on knoppix 3.2 connected on internet through internet connection sharing on a windows XP box.

    Thanks for your help!

    tyio

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Have you entered your DNS i.p. addresses? IT may or may not find them automagically.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I agree. Check your DNS. I've seen this happen if you have the wrong subnet info too so you might want to check that also.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for your answers.


    I entered the following when asked:

    IP adress for eth0
    network mask
    Broadcast address
    Default Gateway
    Nameserver(s)

    I checked the network properties on the XP box which I'm connected to and I found the two first values but the "Broadcast" and "Default Gateway" fields were empty on the XP box.
    I'm sure of the DNS..

    Thank you again

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I'll give you a 100 to 1 odds it's XP unplug the cable from the XP box and plug in the laptop and see if the problems persist if they do it's knoppix and the setup you have if not it's XP or a cabling issue.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Liege (Belgium)
    Posts
    16
    It can't be XP or a cable issue because my laptop has a dual boot knoppix/XP and booted under XP everything works perfectly well with the internet connection sharing.
    I need to fix this because I work most of the time on knoppix.

    This is going seriously weird..

    Thank you for your precious help

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by tyiooo
    It can't be XP or a cable issue because my laptop has a dual boot knoppix/XP and booted under XP everything works perfectly well with the internet connection sharing.
    I need to fix this because I work most of the time on knoppix.

    This is going seriously weird..

    Thank you for your precious help
    If you are still going through an XP machine with the connection sharing then XP can still have something to do with it. Anything between the network and your machine can cause problems and just because it works windows to windows is irrelevant all that means is microsoft made sure their machines work together.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by tyiooo
    It can't be XP or a cable issue because my laptop has a dual boot knoppix/XP and booted under XP everything works perfectly well with the internet connection sharing.
    I need to fix this because I work most of the time on knoppix.

    This is going seriously weird..

    Thank you for your precious help
    Read this

    You'll see what Stephen is talking about. Don't forget- you may think that since you paid for an OS that you own an OS but the truth is entirely different. In the case of XP the OS owns you. There are dozens of incidents just like this out there. Here's another article Try the link to the entire story toward the bottom of the page. Reuters has mysteriously 'lost' the page all of a sudden. I can assure you it was there. There are uncountable instances of the jackbooted M$ software police raiding public schools and levying fines in the $10,000+ range. Yes- the public schools!. That's money that could have been spent on anything but licensing fees.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm not sure that tyiooo is experiencing the problems mentioned by Harry. tyiooo indicates that he is able to pull up some sites and not others. I'd love to pin the blame on MS, but I'm wondering if this might not be a more general networking problem. I'm not sure if this is the case in linux, but when I used to be on a help desk, I saw a lot of windows people who had this same problem (only able to get to some sites) and the root cause was that their subnet mask was incorrect. I suggested above that he check this, and he seems to indicate that he did. tyiooo, I would make sure that you are using the same subnet mask as in knoppix as in windows.

    Also, try pinging both ip addresses and domain names. If you can hit the ip addresses without any problem but are having problems with the domain names then this should tell you for sure that you a DNS problem.

    The problem may still be with the XP machine. tyiooo, if you have a small switch, I would suggest using this to allow your XP machine and the Knoppix machine to get their own addresses from your router. These switches are pretty cheap to buy. If all else fails, just run down to your local computer store and get one of these. You should be able to pick one up for $20.

  10. #10
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I'm not sure that tyiooo is experiencing the problems mentioned by Harry.
    No, since he can get to some addresses I don't think he is either. But he is saying that the problem can't be XP since he can connect through an XP connection sharing system with another XP system. That's just not a valid test. M$ is doing all they can to hurt Linux, and making sure that another XP box will do connection sharing while other systems (Linux) don't is not a trick I would put past them. He needs to bypass the XP connection sharing system if he wants to get any valid information.

    More than just a switch or hub, I would suggest getting a DSL/Cable router (all but the single port versions contain a switch). Let this thing do your connection sharing for you, not XP. There are switches and hubs sold that will not connect to a DSL provider directly, so it's important to spell out what he should get rather than just saying a switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. dhcp problem
    By jon267 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 10:45 PM
  2. DHCP
    By syco in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 03:59 AM
  3. DHCP
    By renaxgade in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:35 AM
  4. DHCP Self-serve
    By rspete in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 02:46 AM
  5. disabling DHCP?
    By jabster in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 01:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99