Have you entered your DNS i.p. addresses? IT may or may not find them automagically.
Hello!
My problem is weird : I got DHCP running ok, I can get connected to certain websites only, most of the web adress typed in the browser do not display anything (time out) although others load fast... I'm sure it's a knoppix problem.
When I run netcardconfig, DHCP is accepted. I tried to configue manually netcardconfig, same result.![]()
I also tried to set mozilla on http 1.0 instead of 1.1 and uncheck "keep alive" but same result...
config: Toshiba laptop on knoppix 3.2 connected on internet through internet connection sharing on a windows XP box.
Thanks for your help!
tyio
Have you entered your DNS i.p. addresses? IT may or may not find them automagically.
I agree. Check your DNS. I've seen this happen if you have the wrong subnet info too so you might want to check that also.
Thanks for your answers.
I entered the following when asked:
IP adress for eth0
network mask
Broadcast address
Default Gateway
Nameserver(s)
I checked the network properties on the XP box which I'm connected to and I found the two first values but the "Broadcast" and "Default Gateway" fields were empty on the XP box.
I'm sure of the DNS..
Thank you again
I'll give you a 100 to 1 odds it's XP unplug the cable from the XP box and plug in the laptop and see if the problems persist if they do it's knoppix and the setup you have if not it's XP or a cabling issue.
It can't be XP or a cable issue because my laptop has a dual boot knoppix/XP and booted under XP everything works perfectly well with the internet connection sharing.
I need to fix this because I work most of the time on knoppix.
This is going seriously weird..
Thank you for your precious help
If you are still going through an XP machine with the connection sharing then XP can still have something to do with it. Anything between the network and your machine can cause problems and just because it works windows to windows is irrelevant all that means is microsoft made sure their machines work together.Originally Posted by tyiooo
Read thisOriginally Posted by tyiooo
You'll see what Stephen is talking about. Don't forget- you may think that since you paid for an OS that you own an OS but the truth is entirely different. In the case of XP the OS owns you. There are dozens of incidents just like this out there. Here's another article Try the link to the entire story toward the bottom of the page. Reuters has mysteriously 'lost' the page all of a sudden. I can assure you it was there. There are uncountable instances of the jackbooted M$ software police raiding public schools and levying fines in the $10,000+ range. Yes- the public schools!. That's money that could have been spent on anything but licensing fees.
I'm not sure that tyiooo is experiencing the problems mentioned by Harry. tyiooo indicates that he is able to pull up some sites and not others. I'd love to pin the blame on MS, but I'm wondering if this might not be a more general networking problem. I'm not sure if this is the case in linux, but when I used to be on a help desk, I saw a lot of windows people who had this same problem (only able to get to some sites) and the root cause was that their subnet mask was incorrect. I suggested above that he check this, and he seems to indicate that he did. tyiooo, I would make sure that you are using the same subnet mask as in knoppix as in windows.
Also, try pinging both ip addresses and domain names. If you can hit the ip addresses without any problem but are having problems with the domain names then this should tell you for sure that you a DNS problem.
The problem may still be with the XP machine. tyiooo, if you have a small switch, I would suggest using this to allow your XP machine and the Knoppix machine to get their own addresses from your router. These switches are pretty cheap to buy. If all else fails, just run down to your local computer store and get one of these. You should be able to pick one up for $20.
No, since he can get to some addresses I don't think he is either. But he is saying that the problem can't be XP since he can connect through an XP connection sharing system with another XP system. That's just not a valid test. M$ is doing all they can to hurt Linux, and making sure that another XP box will do connection sharing while other systems (Linux) don't is not a trick I would put past them. He needs to bypass the XP connection sharing system if he wants to get any valid information.Originally Posted by aay
More than just a switch or hub, I would suggest getting a DSL/Cable router (all but the single port versions contain a switch). Let this thing do your connection sharing for you, not XP. There are switches and hubs sold that will not connect to a DSL provider directly, so it's important to spell out what he should get rather than just saying a switch.

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$699.99
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99
Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99
LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99
Vintage 1977 IBM System/360 Punch Card Program Archive SimSci SSI RPG Mainframe
$449.99
IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D
$219.99
VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99