-
Can't Boot off of Pen Drive on a Dell Turion 64
Greetings Knoppix Forums,
I am a fan of Knoppix.
Recently I installed 6.2.1 to a 4Gb pen drive.
It boots and runs flawlessly on my old Dell Pentium M's.
However it has a fatal issue with my newer Dell Turion 64 about 2 seconds into boot. I tried booting failsafe and without hardware detection to no avail.
Linux Kernel 2.6.32.6, 1895 MB RAM
CPU 0: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 @ 1994MHz, 512 KB Cache
Knoppix 6 found at: /dev/sda1
. . .
insmod: cannot insert ' /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/modules/cloop.ko': Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error
Could not mount /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX. Starting debugging Shell . . .
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(Guess that is an obvious enough message from sh.)
I have been using and tinkering with Debian for 5 or 6 years but I am not real techie so I am hopping for some pointers!
Regards,
Freeman
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
evenso
I am a fan of Knoppix.
By any chance you have another copy of KNOPPIX ( different version ) residing say on your harddisk ?
The error usuallly means the cloop module found on /dev/sda1 is not compatible with the kernel. On my computer, sda1 is my harddisk partition. My flash is sdb1.
-
Can't Boot off of Pen Drive on a Dell Turion 64 [Solved]
Yep. Right in front of my face.
So I searched my Vista partition for Knoppix. But /dev/sda1 was a hidden 48MB partition with a failed install that must have been a mistaken attempt during install to Pen Drive. I had to un-hide it /dev/sda1 with gparted because Vista is, well, Vista.
All is good. Knoppix rocks!
Thanks!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Box Set 18 Disks
$114.99

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 OEM Bundle Complete Set 3.5" Floppy Disks SEALED
$34.99

Vintage AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Socket 462 CPU & Zalman CNPS7000-Cu & Copper Cooler
$75.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh Computer Travel Bag Tote Shoulder Side Bag with Strap
$125.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Sun Microsystems Type 5 Keyboard N860-8701-T010 Tested Working
$55.55

Vintage KanguruDisk Portable External Drive Module with Pouch - Rare Retro Drive
$114.88