-
Virtual terminals?
Does anyone have a clue as to why the virtual terminals that used to be easily accessed on version 5 with ctrl-F1, etc., are not available to me on version 6+?
I've seen others refer to their use, but I can't get to them.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am not sure that I understand your problem, but if I am inside the grahpical desktop environment then I can press CTRL-ALT-F1 in order to get a virtual console with the user root logged in. If I want to return to the graphical desktop environment then I press ALT-F5.
-
Yes, I know - that's what's not working.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you write your own /etc/X11/xorg.conf? According to xorg's man page exists an option to disable virtual terminal support (DontVTSwitch). If this option is set to true then you cannot use the virtual terminals while the xserver is running.
-
No, my xorg.conf is created freshly on boot, using options (usually):
Code:
knoppix xmodule=svga screen=1024x768
The resulting file has no "VT" at all. I had a monitor go bad and just developed this strategy for the replacement - but NO system I've ever booted Knoppix 6 on has ever allowed me to switch to another VT.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can you check in your /etc/default/console-setup if the line:
ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-4]" is commented.
This line specifies the number of virtual consoles in the system. I set it to 1-2 to reduce memory usage instead of 1-4. This Ctrl+Alt+F1 to F4.
If it is commented may be that's the reason you are not getting any
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is another config file responsible for the virtual consoles /etc/inittab
The lines that begin with 1:12345, 2:12345, etc represent the virtual consoles. I commented out 3 and 4 and I am not sure which of the 2 config files is making the difference, but you can try both and see for yourself
-

Originally Posted by
mecho
There is another config file responsible for the virtual consoles /etc/inittab
The lines that begin with 1:12345, 2:12345, etc represent the virtual consoles. I commented out 3 and 4 and I am not sure which of the 2 config files is making the difference, but you can try both and see for yourself
Well, I don't see any problems, but I'll show what seems relevant. These should be the vanilla default setup choices - I never set them.
Code:
inittab:
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
#
# Format:
# <id>:<runlevels>:<action>:<process>
#
# Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
# so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run X.
#
# 1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login < /dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
1:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
2:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty2 >/dev/tty2 2>&1
3:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty3 >/dev/tty3 2>&1
4:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty4 >/dev/tty4 2>&1
# X mode
x0:5:wait:sleep 2
x1:5:respawn:/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx start
console-setup:
# Setup these consoles. Most people do not need to change this.
ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-4]"

Cheers anyway!
Krishna
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nobody really uses virtual consoles, but it does not mean it should not work
.
You can try sudo chvt 1 and see what error comes up, then google it for more info. Sorry I could not help more
-

Originally Posted by
mecho
Nobody really uses virtual consoles, but it does not mean it should not work

.
You can try sudo chvt 1 and see what error comes up, then google it for more info. Sorry I could not help more
I think you're right about it being relatively unimportant; it just kinda bugged me. chvt works nicely, and when in virtual terminal 1 or 2 (text mode), ctrl-alt-F5 works. However, it takes me back to the GUI, where ctrl-alt-F2 (in the LXterm app) produces ;7Q and no "action." Just curious...
Thanks!
Krishna
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G
$75.00

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$36.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

CISCO ISR4331/K9 V04 Integrated Services Router -Sealed Box
$332.49

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99