Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Virtual terminals?

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528

    Question Virtual terminals?

    Does anyone have a clue as to why the virtual terminals that used to be easily accessed on version 5 with ctrl-F1, etc., are not available to me on version 6+?

    I've seen others refer to their use, but I can't get to them.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I am not sure that I understand your problem, but if I am inside the grahpical desktop environment then I can press CTRL-ALT-F1 in order to get a virtual console with the user root logged in. If I want to return to the graphical desktop environment then I press ALT-F5.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Yes, I know - that's what's not working.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Did you write your own /etc/X11/xorg.conf? According to xorg's man page exists an option to disable virtual terminal support (DontVTSwitch). If this option is set to true then you cannot use the virtual terminals while the xserver is running.

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    No, my xorg.conf is created freshly on boot, using options (usually):
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=svga screen=1024x768
    The resulting file has no "VT" at all. I had a monitor go bad and just developed this strategy for the replacement - but NO system I've ever booted Knoppix 6 on has ever allowed me to switch to another VT.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Can you check in your /etc/default/console-setup if the line:
    ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-4]" is commented.

    This line specifies the number of virtual consoles in the system. I set it to 1-2 to reduce memory usage instead of 1-4. This Ctrl+Alt+F1 to F4.
    If it is commented may be that's the reason you are not getting any

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    There is another config file responsible for the virtual consoles /etc/inittab

    The lines that begin with 1:12345, 2:12345, etc represent the virtual consoles. I commented out 3 and 4 and I am not sure which of the 2 config files is making the difference, but you can try both and see for yourself

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    There is another config file responsible for the virtual consoles /etc/inittab

    The lines that begin with 1:12345, 2:12345, etc represent the virtual consoles. I commented out 3 and 4 and I am not sure which of the 2 config files is making the difference, but you can try both and see for yourself
    Well, I don't see any problems, but I'll show what seems relevant. These should be the vanilla default setup choices - I never set them.
    Code:
    inittab:
    # The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
    # characters of the device (after "tty").
    #
    # Format:
    #  <id>:<runlevels>:<action>:<process>
    #
    # Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
    # so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run X.
    #
    
    # 1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login < /dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
    1:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1 2>&1
    2:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty2 >/dev/tty2 2>&1
    3:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty3 >/dev/tty3 2>&1
    4:12345:respawn:bash -login </dev/tty4 >/dev/tty4 2>&1
    
    # X mode
    x0:5:wait:sleep 2
    x1:5:respawn:/etc/init.d/knoppix-startx start
    
    console-setup:
    # Setup these consoles.  Most people do not need to change this.
    ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-4]"


    Cheers anyway!
    Krishna

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Nobody really uses virtual consoles, but it does not mean it should not work .
    You can try sudo chvt 1 and see what error comes up, then google it for more info. Sorry I could not help more

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    Nobody really uses virtual consoles, but it does not mean it should not work .
    You can try sudo chvt 1 and see what error comes up, then google it for more info. Sorry I could not help more
    I think you're right about it being relatively unimportant; it just kinda bugged me. chvt works nicely, and when in virtual terminal 1 or 2 (text mode), ctrl-alt-F5 works. However, it takes me back to the GUI, where ctrl-alt-F2 (in the LXterm app) produces ;7Q and no "action." Just curious...


    Thanks!
    Krishna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



Dell OptiPlex 5050 SFF Core i5-7500, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win11 PRO Up picture

Dell OptiPlex 5050 SFF Core i5-7500, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win11 PRO Up

$89.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$395.00



HP - OmniBook 3 - 14

HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...

$399.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF picture

*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF

$429.00



Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF Intel Core i5-8600 3.1 GHz 8 GB RAM No HDD No OS picture

Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF Intel Core i5-8600 3.1 GHz 8 GB RAM No HDD No OS

$99.99