Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Restore Partition, ASUS, msconfig,

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Restore Partition, ASUS, msconfig,

    Hi guys
    New to the world of Linux.
    Managed to get the machine to boot up with it in teh CD drive - All good
    Have got access to Hard Drive, backed up all data - Extra good

    Q1 - I think I know what's wrong, or at least where to go to test some ideas but it means editing the XPPro msconfig but as it stalls at teh startup logo I can't get into it. Is there another way of editing msconfig?

    Q2 - I don't have 'the' XP discs as this came with 2 Recovery CD's and a Recovery partition. The CD's get to "Recovering now..." and then nothing happens. Thoughts?

    Q2a - How do you use the recovery partition - what do you tell to run etc??? (I can get psuedo MSD prompt via the Recovery discs)

    Q3 - doh, forgot what else I was going to ask???? It'll come back to me...maybe.....

    Cheers
    Seth

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I'm afraid this is mostly Windows and ASUS specific questions, so it's not much to say about them from a purely Knoppix viewpoint.
    For editing Windows config files, a Windows recovery disk is the safest, but as you have already backed up the data, you could try to mount the actual partition writable under Knoppix.
    On my ASUS laptop (Win 7), I have to run a recovery disk creation procedure, resulting in 4 recovery DVDs. I'm not sure about the relation between those and the recovery partition, this is ASUS- and model-specific stuff, so what works for me (UL30VT and Win 7) may not work for you. "If all else fails, check the documentation".

    It seems that you have made a very good start, good luck

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields. picture

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.

$159.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99