Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Clean unnecessary localization to save space

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    Capricorny I have upgraded 80% of the packages available in Knoppix and I have installed at least 50 new applications which I need. My knoppix installation is 8 months old and I have 1.5 GB of free space on 4 GB flash drive, and its all thanks to BleachBit.
    I can tell you why it is working so well. Almost 30% of the size of most applications are localization files which are totally unnecessary if you do not use other languages beside english, so whenever I upgrade a package and I cut off the localization files it takes very little space of the persistent image. I have locked some packages which I do not use much and I do not need them upgraded - such as the whole open office, the printing system and all libs and apps related to them.
    BleachBit also has a whitelist and any directory marked in the whitelist will not get cleaned up. You might want to give it a try. I dont think I will run out of space any time soon, because any upgrade on already upgraded package doesn't take any space

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    @Utu

    Regarding Firefox/Iceweasel urlclassifier3.sqlite - I keep it 30 Kb. I wrote in some of my other post a way to disable the growth of urlclassifier3.sqlite, but it requires alternative security measure.
    urlclassifier3.sqlite is a file used by Firefox to keep a database of malicious sites containing phishing and adware. It can be easily disabled, but you will need alternative protection. The best way so far is using opendns DNS servers. Once you subscribe with them you can choose what kind of protection you want for your browser.Phishing sites are blocked by default with opendns. So thir security is way better then using urlclassifier3.sqlite and you have the added bonus of getting rid of this ever growing file. OpenDNS service is totally free

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



64GB (4x16GB) Micron PC4-2666V MTA16ATF2G64AZ 16GB UDIMM DDR4 Desktop Memory picture

64GB (4x16GB) Micron PC4-2666V MTA16ATF2G64AZ 16GB UDIMM DDR4 Desktop Memory

$239.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 DIMM CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 #CD2 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 DIMM CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 #CD2

$160.00



Patriot Viper Steel 64GB 2x32GB DDR4 3200 PVS464G320C6 picture

Patriot Viper Steel 64GB 2x32GB DDR4 3200 PVS464G320C6

$449.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00