What error(s) are you getting when you try to install?
Hi, after I hdd-installed Knoppix, I found it very difficult upgrading or installing whatever program I would like to,
I need help installing Celestia 1.3.0 (http://www.shatters.net/celestia) on knoppix, its the best FREE 3d space simulator available for free download on the internet,
who can really help and make it work ??![]()
p.s.:there is an older version of celestia unstable packed in the debian page, even this package won't work,
I have updated nvidia driver to 4363 successfully.
last thing to mention: I had mandrake 9.1 before koppix and celestia was installed successfully.
Greetings![]()
What error(s) are you getting when you try to install?
I was trying to install from the source-package of celestia (http://www.shatters.net/celestia/download.htm)
errors ? ohh, a lot , they are stored in the config.log (a very large txt file 100KB) after running command:
./configure --with-kde
in the end I got
hmm ??Code:checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.1.0) (headers and libraries) not found. Please check your installation! For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.help !
You need the development package for the version of qt you have. Try dpkg -l | grep qt to find the version you have and then apt-cache policy version_you_have-dev to see the developement package you will have to install.
this is what I got after dpkg -l | grep qt
I don't understand why it rejectes the QT since its at least the minimum ver it needs,???Code:root@adyga:/home/knoppix# dpkg -l | grep qt ii libqt3-compat- 3.1.1-8 Qt 1.x and 2.x compatibility includes ii libqt3-headers 3.1.1-8 Qt3 header files ii libqt3-i18n 3.1.1-8 i18n files for Qt3 library ii libqt3-mt-dev 3.1.1-8 Qt development files (Threaded) ii libqt3c102-mt 3.1.1-8 Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime version) ii lyx-qt 1.3.1-5 High Level Word Processor - Qt frontend ii qt3-dev-tools 3.1.1-8 Qt3 development tools ii qtparted 0.2.3-1 A parted frontend using QT
by the way, after browsing the internet and forum here to deceive the install process, well Stephen I found an old post of yours at another thread about that gave me the spark to solve the main problem here (installing celestia) at: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1968#9255
IT'S the marvelous alien !!
for all interested in installing CELESTIA, here is the good news:
go to the main page of celestia: download the latests 2 rpms for mandrake distribution (main +textures)
get the libpng3 from debian unstable package page (http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/s...le&release=all)
install libpng3, the according to Stephen's nice tip:
alien -i celestia_blah_blah.rpm
for both rpms
...... installed successfully![]()
![]()
thanks Stephen![]()
one last thing, I guess its more useful for getting celestia on the next release of Knoppix instead of silly games![]()
charming program indeed![]()
Good to hear you got it going. You probably had to tell the configure program where the files were with a switch the information for that is more than likely in one of the readme files or the config file itself if this happens to you again.

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Inside Macintosh Promotional Edition Vintage Apple Developer Book 1985
$32.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Vintage RARE 1980s Apple Computer Logo Frisbee. Great shape, w/ the usual nicks
$220.00
Sealed Original Vintage APPLE MACINTOSH Rainbow Logo Stickers - 4" & 2"- 5 Each
$79.99
Vintage cross Apple computer branded pen rainbow logo In original box
$100.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Macintosh Pascal Lowell Carmony Robert Holliday Vintage 1985 Apple Mac Tech Book
$25.00