Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Comments on upgrading PCManFM

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    Comments on upgrading PCManFM

    I installed PCManFM 0.9.7-1 from Debian testing
    and I'm not too happy with it, because:

    1. Mine is now missing the 'Preferences' panel by which PCManFM 0.5-3
    formerly provided the capability to load and tweak the desktop background.
    Compiz 0.8.2 only provides a capability to specify cube caps,
    not desktop cpube faces. My original set-up values are retained, and suit me
    at present, but I can't change them anymore;

    2. Mine won't mount ntfs volumes, but I'd rather it didn't, anyway,
    noting some worrisome comments on performance I've seen;

    3. Mine has one menu selection, 'Applications', that's a lock-up.
    I have no idea what the author had in mind;

    4. Nice to have a 'Trash' option, but if you click 'Properties' to
    see how much is there, the gui closes instead of telling you;

    5. I had hoped to find fewer PolKit, gtk-2 and gnome incompatibity
    problems as evidenced in .xsession-errors. That's not the case; and

    6. Working with Synaptic, it looks too scary (to me) to try to
    revert to the earlier PCManFM, because some wholesale LXDE changes
    are involved.


    FWIW, The author of PCManFM is also the founder of LXDE; also
    FWIW, I still have ntfs-3g-ng the same as in my original
    Knoppix 6.2.1 CD and not ntfs-3g.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I installed PCManFM 0.9.7-1 from Debian testing
    and I'm not too happy with it, because:

    1. Mine is now missing the 'Preferences' panel by which PCManFM 0.5-3
    formerly provided the capability to load and tweak the desktop background.
    Compiz 0.8.2 only provides a capability to specify cube caps,
    not desktop cpube faces. My original set-up values are retained, and suit me
    at present, but I can't change them anymore;
    pcmanfm --desktop-pref
    2. Mine won't mount ntfs volumes, but I'd rather it didn't, anyway,
    noting some worrisome comments on performance I've seen;
    since you rather not to have it .....Nevertheless, mine is working as of now.

    3. Mine has one menu selection, 'Applications', that's a lock-up.
    I have no idea what the author had in mind;
    That's due to some library incompatible with pcmanfm2. I can't remember exactly what already, perhaps it's 'libfm' or 'libmenu-cache1; or something like that. Even if you already have them installed, perhaps re-install it.
    4. Nice to have a 'Trash' option, but if you click 'Properties' to
    see how much is there, the gui closes instead of telling you;
    Again, it is associated libraries problem. Need to upgrade the associated libraries.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Sequel to my PCManFM rant in the opening post.

    1. It turns out that Preference tab labeled 'Desktop' in PCManFM 0.5-3 now
    missing in PCManFM 0.9-7 was redundant. The desktop image and background
    has an equivalent gui for these settings in Compiz. It can be found at
    Preferences/CompizConfig/Utility/Wallpaper/. I happily withdraw gripe #1.

    2. I rely on Synaptic to resolve dependencies. In this case, Synaptic
    provided all the 'necessary' files but omitted two 'recommended' files:
    one is gvfs-fuse, the other is gvs-backends; both depend on yet additional
    libraries. Both gvfs files appear relevant to the (new) 'Trash' function.
    However, the totality of the apparent changes required looks staggering,
    and likely hazardous to attempt with my 2Gb SDCard arrangement.

    3. My remaining observations still stand.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Here is one type of .xsession error report from PCManFM 0.9.7
    which is probably in fact a benign, no-problem, situation:

    (pcmanfm:3423): Gtk-WARNING **: Radio group does not contain an action with value '0'
    ** (pcmanfm:3423): DEBUG: 1 files-dropped!, info_type: 0
    ** (pcmanfm:3423): DEBUG: total size to move: 772, dest_fs: l15
    ** (pcmanfm:3423): DEBUG: 1 files-dropped!, info_type: 0
    ** (pcmanfm:3423): DEBUG: total size to move: 233, dest_fs: l15

    These warnings resulted from doing a drag-and-drop of two small files to
    a common folder. The operation itself seemed straight-forward and successful.

    Just one of several worrisome, probably minor, details regarding this 'upgrade'.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    I have mentioned these casually up there, does not seem to "get through". I will try to make it more clearly.

    1. For the problem of pcmanfm not managing desktop, change this file
    /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart from

    'pcmanfm -d' to
    'pcmanfm --desktop

    To bring up the GUI, use 'pcmanfm --desktop-pref'.

    2. For application menu hang problem, install or re-install menu cache and read this post :-

    http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1481
    Last edited by kl522; 08-08-2010 at 08:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    The LXDE forum reference confirms the intended absence
    of the Desktop Preferences gui.
    It's nice to know a command line input that can provide
    the missing, but notably redundant gui.

    Peculiar, but not particularly useful, that the gui
    menu item is missing while the command infrastructure
    still remains.

    Adding testing repo to stable allows one to reinstall
    libs mentioned in the LXDE forum reference via Synaptic.
    Having done does not remedy the lock-up which occurs
    on selecting the 'Applications' menu item.

    It may be that proper compilation of PCManFM2 works as
    intended. I'm not convinced that the current Debian
    stable PCManFM 0.9.7 upgraded via Synaptic on
    Knoppix 6.2.1 does the same.

    Many LXDE forum comments allude to similar troublesome
    difficulties with PCManFM2 on several distributions.
    The order of compilation of various elements and
    dependencies of PCManFM2 seem to be critical to getting
    it right.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Peculiar, but not particularly useful, that the gui
    menu item is missing while the command infrastructure
    still remains.
    It is supposed to be integrated with the menu, but obviously
    something has failed somewhere. To rectify it, you can
    edit :-

    /usr/share/applications/pcmanfm-pref.desktop
    (If it does not exist, create it, if exists, overwrite it )

    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=Pcmanfm Desktop Preference
    GenericName=Desktop Preference
    Comment=Set up pcmanfm desktop preference
    Exec=pcmanfm --desktop-pref
    Icon=preferences-desktop
    StartupNotify=true
    Categories=Settings;DesktopSettings;X-LXDE-Settings;GTK;
    NotShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;KDE;
    Then you will be able to invoke it via LXDE preferences menu.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @kl522

    Thanks, again.
    That's an excellent primer on setting up a desktop menu item.
    I can use this idea in a number of places on my set-up.

    Now, as to PCManFM, the upgrade:
    mine has so many problems, I'm not going to fix them all.
    And,
    I already have two alternatives for the missing preferences gui,
    I don't need a third.
    Last edited by utu; 08-10-2010 at 02:03 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Now it can be said that my PCManFM upgrade is working well.
    All the problematic symptoms I have described have now
    been ameliorated.

    On suggestion of others, I have opened up my Synaptic to
    all possible repos and upgraded, in addition to PCManFM,
    any element also available for upgrade that begins with
    the letters 'lx'.

    This amounts to, as I recall, lxinput, lxsession, lxterminal
    and lxpanel. None of these were considered dependencies,
    per se, by Synaptic, but now we know better.

    It is probably not that unexpected, in hindsight, that
    if PCManFM were undergoing a significant upgrade, that
    a number of other LXDE components might be expected
    also to be doing the same. PCMan is at the heart of both
    PCManFM and LXDE.

    As a postscript, kl522's suggestion in his post #7
    would be a nice refinement to add to PXManFM's
    Applications/Desktop settings page.
    Last edited by utu; 08-12-2010 at 12:01 AM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    I had some pcmanfm upgrade issues, including the elsewhere mentioned mounting of ntfs partitions. What did it for me was installing the gvfs-backends and gvfs-fuse packages that are recommends for pcmanfm.

    I also did the described edit to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart .

    All is well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000 picture

HP ZBook Fury G8 15.6'' Intel Xeon W-11955M 2.6GHz 64GB RAM 1TB SSD RTX A2000

$599.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99