Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I'd Like a Flashy Applet

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

    I'd Like a Flashy Applet

    I'd like some clever person to invent or tell me where to find
    an applet for IceWeasel which would do the following:

    1. Indicate if there is flash content in the page I'm viewing;
    2. Indicate if my flash plug-in is enabled; and
    3. Provide a toggle for flash on or off.

    I'd like this applet to be as clever and inobtrusive as that which
    goes with Network Manager.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    Flashblock

    There is an extension for Firefox called Flashblock https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/. It works with Iceweasel, too. This add-on blocks all Flash content on a webpage from loading. You see placeholders on the webpage that allow you to enable the Flash content. I did not find a way to block Flash content again with that add-on but if you are watching a video on YouTube there is the possibility to stop download if you right click on the video. I tried this add-on with Knoppix 6.2.1 Live-CD and the package flashplugin-nonfree installed. Since there is the NoScript extension installed you can block most content on a webpage that is located on other servers.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Klaus

    I use NoScript all the time.
    I usually have Flash disabled in the browser.
    Occasionally I visit a bookmarked site and it doesn't look right.
    It takes me a while to guess that flash might be the issue.
    It then takes two clicks to check on this and correct the issue.
    I thought this applet might be a convenience item.

    I'd still would like to have this kind of applet, and I can add
    another avenue: this applet could just as well be on the panel,
    not necessarily on the IceWeasel landscape.

    Thanks for your response here, and for the (previous) cloning idea.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I also use flashblock - it does show you that there is a flash content and it is blocked.You unblocked it with one click of the mouse. I removed NoScript

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    klaus & mecho

    Thank you both for FlashBlock. Fills the bill 100%.
    You will have to share the prize.

    Is there a difference of opinion on NoScript here?
    I don't see a conflict with NoScript and FlashBlock.

    I had to whitelist www.knoppix.net in NoScript to keep
    the forum editor and NoScript from arguing over my whitespace.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    I use Flashblock in combination with AdBlock Plus and that is sufficient for me. NoScript does have the ability to block java scripts, but I do not really need that so I removed it

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    klaus & mecho

    Thank you both for FlashBlock. Fills the bill 100%.
    You will have to share the prize.

    Is there a difference of opinion on NoScript here?
    I don't see a conflict with NoScript and FlashBlock.

    I had to whitelist www.knoppix.net in NoScript to keep
    the forum editor and NoScript from arguing over my whitespace.
    I've found that my experience is not universal, and I'm sure different people browse differently; that said, I've not enjoyed the NoScript addon at all. Different strokes for different folks - it's the Linux way!

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    In Ubuntu 10.04 I use firefox and adblock plus.
    My IceWeasel in Knoppix 6.2.1 came with NoScript, as I recall.
    Relative to adblock, NoScript does seem heavy-handed, IMO.

    Perhaps some should start a thread on 'blockers'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules picture

Juniper EX4400-EM-4S expansion modules

$599.00



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$8999.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99