Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Text whizzing by too fast

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I hope you all will be patient with me, for I am a slow learner.

    You have helped me find the material I'm after. Now I need to
    figure out how to apply it. I know how, in principle to proceed
    to establish a file to read. I've seen a few ideas on how to
    achieve a virtual terminal, but I've not mastered that yet.

    I lost a few hours being disconnected, by the unfortunate choice
    of Fn-F2 on my laptop keyboard. I was attempting to establish
    what, if anything, happened with a whole lot of key combinations.
    I Thought my wifi or router had died.

    Many thanks to you all. My cup runneth over.

    klaus2008, I'm very interested to try what you suggest.
    I will now re-apply myself to the virtual terminal problem;
    once I get over that hump, I'll get back to you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Progress:

    In an lxterminal either as knoppix or root,
    ctl-alt-F2 gets a virtual terminal (I don't know which one).
    alt-F12 then takes you to virtual terminal #12 (vt #12).
    vt #12 displays the last 46 lines of the grey-on-black diary.
    From vt #12, alt-F5 then takes you back to your X-session.

    Note: The previous is true in my Knoppix 6.2.1, with my
    Inspiron 1545 keyboard, but not in Ubuntu 10.04 on another
    computer.

    Musings:

    I am guessing that the diary which may have existed on prior
    screens probably went to /dev/null, and isn't retrievable.

    I don't know how to pre-arrange for an lxterm to be active
    to see this stuff from the get-go.

    I suspect a well-placed tee command might capture this
    lost material in a logfile for later viewing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @klaus2008, specifically in regard to your post #15.

    I think I'm ready to try your idea.

    Am I permanently modifying any files with your long command,
    or will the change only persist for the immediate session?

    If any files are permanently changed, which are they?

    Also, I might add to my previous observations,
    1. The first virtual terminal seems like it should be vt #5.
    2. It is possible to enter 'ctl-alt-F2' during the start-up
    sequence without firing up any lxterm. In one instance,
    this allowed viewing earlier progress of start-up, but it also
    stalled some of Network Manager magic. This magic resumed
    successfully as soon as I returned to Xsession.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS A68HM-K FM2+ MicroATX AMD DDR3 2DIMM HDMI/DVI/VGA USB 3.0 picture

ASUS A68HM-K FM2+ MicroATX AMD DDR3 2DIMM HDMI/DVI/VGA USB 3.0

$50.00



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99