-
Unable to boot from DVD
Hi,
I have a PC running Windows 7 on 2 partitions. One of the partitions has failed, so I am trying to boot into knoppix to recover data from the failed partition.
I downloaded the file KNOPPIX_V6.2.1DVD-2010-01-31-EN.iso and burned it onto a DVD. I booted from the DVD, and a Knoppix loading screen is displayed.
It says:
boot:
Loading linux.......isolinux: Disk error 80, AX = 4276, Drive 9F
Boot failed: press a key to retry
Can anyone help with this error?
The PC has 2 hard disks installed in a Raid 1 mirror - could that be the cause of the problem?
Thanks
Nick
-

Originally Posted by
nickc1976
Hi,
I have a PC running Windows 7 on 2 partitions. One of the partitions has failed, so I am trying to boot into knoppix to recover data from the failed partition.
I downloaded the file KNOPPIX_V6.2.1DVD-2010-01-31-EN.iso and burned it onto a DVD. I booted from the DVD, and a Knoppix loading screen is displayed.
It says:
boot:
Loading linux.......isolinux: Disk error 80, AX = 4276, Drive 9F
Boot failed: press a key to retry
Can anyone help with this error?
The PC has 2 hard disks installed in a Raid 1 mirror - could that be the cause of the problem?
Thanks
Nick
I'm not sure what you really need. Is there not a recovery capacity built in with RAID-1? I thought that was about all you got from having the second disk. If your system went wacky and started trashing your partition, then it would most likely be replicated on the second disk. So the big question, I suppose, is what filesystem were you using? Given that it's Windows, I'm gonna guess it's NTFS. Recovery of that type is probably best done with M$oft tools, e.g. chkdsk. In order to get a DOS command line to run it, you might like to try Hiren's BootCD, which is widely available on the web, especially via torrent. Torrents are available via Knoppix, if need be, and burning can be done with Brasero on the Sound and Video menu.
Cheers!
Krishna
-
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
The RAID is confirgured by my hardware, and serves to represent my two hard disks as one disk to the operating system. It protects me from a disk failure - if one disk fails, the system still sees one disk and boots normally. Your right - RAID doesn't give any protection against lost/damaged data.
The file system is NTFS, and I have tried using MS tools to recover the faulty partition, but none have worked. Disk Management sees the partition, but will not allow me to perform any operations on it, and the system will not assign it a drive letter, so I can't use chkdsk. I also tried diskpart, but was unable to view the partition with that either.
So I thought I would try booting with Knoppix to see whether there any other tools available to either recover the data, or repair the partition.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@nickc1976
I'm no expert, but I have used the Win7 restore function
several times on my Win7 to revert to an earlier image when things were working better.
Have you tried this already?
My apologies if my question offends your expertise.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00