The problem with most postings are :-
They want to know what is right.
But they should tell us what they are doing wrong.
Sorry if this turns out to be nasty but I think it's so fundamental to a "posting atiquette".
@kl522
I am getting a lot of errors while extracting the contents of minirt.gz, and when I put it back together it is smaller in size. The system does not boot afterwards. Is there any spacial way of extracting minirt and putting it back together
The problem with most postings are :-
They want to know what is right.
But they should tell us what they are doing wrong.
Sorry if this turns out to be nasty but I think it's so fundamental to a "posting atiquette".
There are instructions in the wiki: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_...nged_to_ramfs.Originally Posted by mecho
Extraction and creation of minirt.gz have to be done as root.
@kl522
I am sorry I have to say this, but you really make me. PLEASE do not reply to threads if you are not really willing to help in any way. This forums are for knowledge sharing and help in understanding Knoppix and Linux in general. I really appreciate your knowledge, but the way you are trying to help is totally useless. This is in regard to all posts you made in this thread
I was following the instructions in the wiki I was just afraid to do it as root. It was not mentioned in the wiki or at least I did not see it and I did not think it would be necessary. Anyway that did the trick - I extracted minirt just fine as root and put it back together. The noatime option for uniionfs did the trick - thanks to kl522 and I am sorry for my previous post.
I don't know if there will be any performance gain or less writes to the flash, but I achieved what I wanted. Thanks All
Yes all my posts are useless, that's because you are unwilling to tell us what you have done wrong. You said you have errors, but you are not posting about what commands you used, what intructions you have followed, what errors are they on the screen. You have searched the shell script, but you are not posting about what you have searched, what strings you have entered, what you expect to see. You want to know what is right, but we do not have telepathic minds to know what you did wrong.
Yes I was nasty. That's because I think the posts do not meet basic "posting etiquette".
Yes I know my posts are upsetting people. That's because I read posts which are upsetting me.
The steps I took were described in post #9 - that's how klaus2008 managed to point me in the right direction probably. There is no sudo in those steps. Anyway, lets forget about it. I will try to be more thorough in my post, you can try to be more polite and it's all good.
I will post all steps for editing minirt.gz now, just to avoid any confusion to anyone following this thread. All in terminal:
cp /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/minirt.gz /ramdisk
cd /ramdisk
gunzip minirt.gz
mkdir minirtdir
cd minirtdir
sudo cpio -ivu --no-absolute-filenames < ../minirt
sudo nano init # Make changes to init
sudo find . | cpio -oH newc | gzip -9 > ../minirt.gz
cp /ramdisk/minirt.gz /mnt-system/boot/syslinux
Last edited by mecho; 08-03-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER
$39.99
WaterSaver CT4880F-225WSA Vacuum VAC Panel Mount Needle Valve 3/8" IPS 1 Pc
$78.00
Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67
V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00
Trucozie Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Self-Standing Lightweight Stick Vacuum New Ope
$89.00