Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: File copy gives error message "Success"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1

    File copy gives error message "Success"

    Hi all, Recently a motherboard in an old pc of mine toasted itself... It contained some important data, so I pulled out the HDD and put it in my good pc and booted Knoppix (the old one was running Debian, so I couldn't pull out the data with Windows *sigh*). However, when I try to copy my data to an USB HDD, I randomly keep getting the error message "Success" and then PCMan stops copying the files... It doesn't show up with every file and it doesn't even occur for the same file everytime. Quite a strange error message and I can't find any info related to it. This is no issue of having not enough space on my external HDD, because I have 971,9 GB left. That should be enough for 18GB of data, right? Could it have something to do with the fact that the HDD is (probably) NTFS formatted? Knoppix seems to be using FUSE for this, and I am totally unfamiliar with that system... Here is the line mount gives me for the external HDD:
    Code:
    /dev/sdf1 on /media/sdf1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    Thanks in advance, Eric Spreen

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by erispre View Post
    Hi all, Recently a motherboard in an old pc of mine toasted itself... It contained some important data, so I pulled out the HDD and put it in my good pc and booted Knoppix (the old one was running Debian, so I couldn't pull out the data with Windows *sigh*). However, when I try to copy my data to an USB HDD, I randomly keep getting the error message "Success" and then PCMan stops copying the files... It doesn't show up with every file and it doesn't even occur for the same file everytime. Quite a strange error message and I can't find any info related to it. This is no issue of having not enough space on my external HDD, because I have 971,9 GB left. That should be enough for 18GB of data, right? Could it have something to do with the fact that the HDD is (probably) NTFS formatted? Knoppix seems to be using FUSE for this, and I am totally unfamiliar with that system... Here is the line mount gives me for the external HDD:
    Code:
    /dev/sdf1 on /media/sdf1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    Thanks in advance, Eric Spreen
    Two possibilities: 1) There's a problem with the old drive and/or filesystem; have you tried looking at it with GParted? It might tell you something useful. If it's NTFS, you can download a disk called "Hiten's BootCD", which will at least allow you to do a DOS chkdsk command.
    2) There's something goofy with Pcman, and it can be done with a cp command in lxterm. You can Google for more on copying at the command line.

    Hope that helps!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    @erispre

    If you like to find out more about the filesystem's type on your USB HDD then you can use the blkid command.
    Code:
    sudo blkid /dev/sdf1
    Do you use Knoppix 6.2.1? You could try GNU Midnight Commander mc instead of PCMan Filemanager.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99