-
Senior Member
registered user
Help me train a mouse
I have a Microsoft Nano wireless mouse.
In Linux, the scroll-wheel response is too fast.
In Win7 its ok.
I can't seem to get xset or the gnome config tool
to slow this down.
Are there any other options to adjust this thing?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Excerpts from /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
# Since evdev, manual keyboard/mice entries are mostly ignored:
# Keyboard auto-probed
# Touchpad auto-probed
# USB mouse auto-probed
# Serial Mouse auto-probed
### AIGLX for compiz 3D-Support with DRI & Composite
### This option doesn't hurt even if it's not supported by the individual card
Option "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection
-
Senior Member
registered user
I read in some ubuntu forum about this problem with MS wireless mouse. Don't have the link to send it to you, but the workaround was: when you logout of windows and boot in knoppix just unplug the wireless adapter and plug it back in again. Try it and see if it works
It's not a real solution, but its better then nothing, until you find a real one
-
Senior Member
registered user
This may be very tricky mouse to configure. You have to be lucky to find someone in this forums who has this kind of mouse AND to have it configured properly. So don't look in this forum. What I can see by googling is that the number of buttons (wheel tilting is a button too) has to be properly configured and the right protocol used in xorg.conf.
Here are some links I was looking at, hope might be of some help to you:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-22203.html
http://linuxreviews.org/howtos/xfree/mouse/
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
@mecho
Many thanks once again.
It may be my imagination, but I think the unplugging had the desired effect.
I will study the Logitech article tomorrow.
I don't know if M$ Nano=Logitech Nano.
Also, thanks for getting Marietto straightened out.
I could never see what he (or she) was trying to do.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@mecho
I am embarassed to note that Main Menu/Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse
provides a nice little gui which purports to affect mouse
sensitivity and acceleration. I can't see that it does for the
M$-Nano species of Rodenta, however.
The unplugging seemed to have got the rodent's attention. It
works now in Knoppix about like it does in Win7.
I can't see that any of the choices: xset, gnome config, or this
latest revelation have any effect toward making any changes on
my Nano.
The hunt-and-peck effort toward 'mapping' the mouse dimensions,
mentioned in one of your references, doesn't appeal to me.
Somewhere in my error-message treks I think I recall some note
to the effect that one of the 'dimensions' of the mouse was
unaccounted-for. The number accounted-for was rather large.
No hint as usual as to what one might do with this precious
revelation.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The GUI included in LXDE does nothing more then configuring xset and storing the velues in /home/knoppix/.config/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf
The important elements in setting your mouse would be in xorg.conf - mainly the "driver" "protocol" type, "SendCoreEvents" and "Buttons" value.
For a mouse like this it might take a lot of trial and error. Changing values in xorg.conf and restarting X.
The protocol name which works best for you might have nothing to do with your mouse. After you have found the best working config, you might want to edit knoppix-autoconfig and put your working mouse config there, so xorg.conf will be automatically recreated with you working config
Why I love Knoppix so much is because it makes you learn everything the hard way 
Last edited by mecho; 08-04-2010 at 07:14 PM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
An excerpt from dmesg, concerning M$-Nano ( 6 lines broken with '\' for readability )
[ 4.074228] usb 7-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[ 4.233044] usb 7-1: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=0745
[ 4.233049] usb 7-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 4.233054] usb 7-1: Product: Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0
[ 4.233058] usb 7-1: Manufacturer: Microsoft
[ 4.233356] usb 7-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 4.239505] input: Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1\
/usb7/7-1/7-1:1.0/input/input9
[ 4.239838] generic-usb 0003:045E:0745.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard\
[Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input0
[ 4.247210] input: Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1\
/usb7/7-1/7-1:1.1/input/input10
[ 4.247696] generic-usb 0003:045E:0745.0002: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Mouse\
[Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input1
[ 4.273514] input: Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1\
/usb7/7-1/7-1:1.2/input/input11
[ 4.274098] generic-usb 0003:045E:0745.0003: input,hiddev96,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Device\
[Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input2
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't know Utu - seems like you should search for some kind of hal fdi policy, or udev rule to correct the scrolled number of lines at every boot. I can be of no help to you, unless I have the same kind of mouse and play with until I figure it out.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00