Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: How to remove packages from Knoppix without breaking the whole system.

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @Marietto

    I wish you good luck in your endeavor.

    I do not have as much experience and skill as some of
    your other respondees. What I have to offer is a counsel
    of caution.

    My experience with removing things from a robust working
    system, such as Knoppix, is such as to make me wary of
    removing certain functions I deem to be superfluous
    to my needs and taste.

    Very often in removing supposedly superfluous programs,
    I end up with an unworkable system. Not only unworkable,
    but I don't know what to 'put back'. This is usually the
    result of the removal of a program previousy shared by
    the program removed and the remaining system. This is
    a self-inflicted case of 'dependency hell'.

    If you keep good records and images you can survive this
    difficulty, but I am not so well organized as all that.

    I had in mind you might be better off a with non-graphic
    single-user linux system. There used to be a number of
    these, but now I can't readily find any. Live CD's for
    the purpose of disaster recovery or forensics or security
    purposes used to be very common.

    It looks like this genre may have been superseded now
    by lightweight graphic systems, such as lxde, xfce and
    others. Perhaps the baggage in these systems is much
    lighter now than previously, with not so much overhead
    above the command-line essentials.

    Avenues apart from downsizing Knoppix, might include
    building up from scratch, ala linux-from-scratch,
    and/or using neat bare-bones linux-building blocks
    like busybox.

    I'm sure you'll get to Rome, one way or another or both.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    This is a modern-day version of the type of
    program that used to be made minimal by being
    command-line only.

    http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    198
    @Marietto

    You might want to try the Finnix distro from http://www.finnix.org/
    It is only 120 MB and is targeted at sys admins. It is Debian unstable based and uses some of Knoppix hardware auto detection scripts. It should be very good at auto configuring same as Knoppix - gives us a feedback if you try it

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks boys,but I've already found a solution : I've created an ISO image of about 300 MB,that's good. I changed the boot options,so that it boots in run level 2,toram and with the italian language. Thanks for your cooperation,it is rarely to find people available to help like you.

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17
    It's not important,but could be a good idea to start my script after having typed the user's password. I tried to put the configurations files (.bash_profile and .dosemu in /etc/skel and in /home/knoppix,but when the computer starts the /home/knoppix folder is empty and the script can't start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy A9 Plus 11.0

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy A9 Plus 11.0" 64GB Navy SM-X210

$124.99



SAMSUNG XE310XBA Chromebook 4 11.6

SAMSUNG XE310XBA Chromebook 4 11.6" Intel N4020 4GB 32GB CLEAN UP TO DATE X3 LOT

$89.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR

$206.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$44.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



Samsung Dual-Rank DDR4 2933MHz 64GB RAM picture

Samsung Dual-Rank DDR4 2933MHz 64GB RAM

$379.99



8/10 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active4 Pro SM-T638 128GB, Wi-Fi 5G Unlocked 10.1 BLACK picture

8/10 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active4 Pro SM-T638 128GB, Wi-Fi 5G Unlocked 10.1 BLACK

$339.00