Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Unable to boot from DVD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2

    Unable to boot from DVD

    Hi,

    I have a PC running Windows 7 on 2 partitions. One of the partitions has failed, so I am trying to boot into knoppix to recover data from the failed partition.

    I downloaded the file KNOPPIX_V6.2.1DVD-2010-01-31-EN.iso and burned it onto a DVD. I booted from the DVD, and a Knoppix loading screen is displayed.
    It says:
    boot:
    Loading linux.......isolinux: Disk error 80, AX = 4276, Drive 9F
    Boot failed: press a key to retry

    Can anyone help with this error?

    The PC has 2 hard disks installed in a Raid 1 mirror - could that be the cause of the problem?

    Thanks

    Nick

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by nickc1976 View Post
    Hi,

    I have a PC running Windows 7 on 2 partitions. One of the partitions has failed, so I am trying to boot into knoppix to recover data from the failed partition.

    I downloaded the file KNOPPIX_V6.2.1DVD-2010-01-31-EN.iso and burned it onto a DVD. I booted from the DVD, and a Knoppix loading screen is displayed.
    It says:
    boot:
    Loading linux.......isolinux: Disk error 80, AX = 4276, Drive 9F
    Boot failed: press a key to retry

    Can anyone help with this error?

    The PC has 2 hard disks installed in a Raid 1 mirror - could that be the cause of the problem?

    Thanks

    Nick
    I'm not sure what you really need. Is there not a recovery capacity built in with RAID-1? I thought that was about all you got from having the second disk. If your system went wacky and started trashing your partition, then it would most likely be replicated on the second disk. So the big question, I suppose, is what filesystem were you using? Given that it's Windows, I'm gonna guess it's NTFS. Recovery of that type is probably best done with M$oft tools, e.g. chkdsk. In order to get a DOS command line to run it, you might like to try Hiren's BootCD, which is widely available on the web, especially via torrent. Torrents are available via Knoppix, if need be, and burning can be done with Brasero on the Sound and Video menu.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply.

    The RAID is confirgured by my hardware, and serves to represent my two hard disks as one disk to the operating system. It protects me from a disk failure - if one disk fails, the system still sees one disk and boots normally. Your right - RAID doesn't give any protection against lost/damaged data.
    The file system is NTFS, and I have tried using MS tools to recover the faulty partition, but none have worked. Disk Management sees the partition, but will not allow me to perform any operations on it, and the system will not assign it a drive letter, so I can't use chkdsk. I also tried diskpart, but was unable to view the partition with that either.
    So I thought I would try booting with Knoppix to see whether there any other tools available to either recover the data, or repair the partition.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @nickc1976

    I'm no expert, but I have used the Win7 restore function
    several times on my Win7 to revert to an earlier image when things were working better.
    Have you tried this already?

    My apologies if my question offends your expertise.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5

HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5" SATA SSD Solid State Drive MTFDDAK240TCB

$24.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" Sata SSD Drive MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512 Health Above 90

$52.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$25.00