Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Quick scripting question

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Quick scripting question

    Hey,
    I'm trying to setup Knoppix on USB with a few servers running on boot. I've googled the hell out of this and have found many ways of doing it, but only Knoppix.sh seems like it has a chance of working. At this point I think I must be asking the wrong questions.

    At any rate my knoppix.sh has the following code:

    /etc/init.d/ssh start
    /etc/init.d/webmin start
    /etc/init.d/mysql start
    /etc/init.d/apache2 start

    The output is:

    Usage: /etc/init.d/ssh {start|stop|reload|force-reload|restart|try-restart|status}.
    Usage: /etc/init.d/webmin { start | stop | restart }
    Usage: /UNIONFS/etc/init.d/mysql start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload|status
    Usage: /etc/init.d/apache2 {start|stop|graceful-stop|restart|reload|force-reload|start-htcacheclean|stop-htcacheclean|status}.

    Why is it not seeing the 'start' at the end?

    Thanks,
    --Yel

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I can't see any error in your /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh. I tried this myself with /etc/init.d/ssh start and everything worked fine. How did you create that file? What version of Knoppix do you use?

    However I would place all services I like to start during boot in the file /etc/rc.local.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Solved

    SOLVED

    I created knoppix.sh with notepad in Windows. This caused hidden characters to be generated.

    Quote Originally Posted by asmoore82(@Ubuntu forums)
    Was your script created or edited with a DOS text editor?

    Check these and compare the results:
    Code:
    file <your_script>
    cat <your_script>
    cat -A <your_script>
    Quote Originally Posted by YouEatLard
    It's all done with vi.

    The results from above:

    Code:
    # file knoppix.sh
    knoppix.sh: Bourne-Again shell script text executable
     
    # cat knoppix.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    /etc/init.d/ssh start
    /etc/init.d/webmin start
    /etc/init.d/mysql start
    /etc/init.d/apache2 start
     
    # cat -A knoppix.sh
    #!/bin/bash^M$
    /etc/init.d/ssh start^M$
    /etc/init.d/webmin start^M$
    /etc/init.d/mysql start^M$
    /etc/init.d/apache2 start^M$
    ^M$
    Quote Originally Posted by asmoore82(@Ubuntu)
    Yep, you've got a script with DOS newlines (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRLF).

    That's why all those ^M's show up when you `cat -A`.
    vi doesn't create these files by default but if you open one
    for editing, vi will go with the flow.

    Strip out the extraneous Carriage Returns (0x0d) like this:
    Code:
    mv knoppix.sh knoppix.sh.CRLF
    cat knoppix.sh.CRLF | tr -d '\r' > knoppix.sh

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I can't see any error in your /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh. I tried this myself with /etc/init.d/ssh start and everything worked fine. How did you create that file? What version of Knoppix do you use?

    However I would place all services I like to start during boot in the file /etc/rc.local.
    I'm using Knoppix 6.4.3 on flashdrive with a persistent image. I'd love to do it the "correct" way, but have had issues getting it to work.
    Tried init-rc.d, webmin, and 3 other ways, but none of them worked even if the text I added persisted through the reboot. I'm obviously missing something here, but I don't know what. For now, it works.

    However, I don't remember if I added the lines to rc.local. Not sure how I missed that. Thanks for the info. I'll need it soon enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i  CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD picture

LENOVO THINKPAD T14 GEN 2i CORE I7-11165G7 2.8GHZ 16GB 256 SSD WCAM WI1 CORD

$250.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK

$285.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X280 Laptop 12.5” FHD Core i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 WiFi picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X280 Laptop 12.5” FHD Core i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 WiFi

$242.22