-
Senior Member
registered user
LXDE 'upgrades' in Knoppix 6.2.1 Using Synaptic
Has any brave soul upgraded any LXDE component
via Knoppix 6.2.1 Synaptic
from 'only Debian Stable' (two repos}
to 'Debian Stable plus Debian Testing' (four repos)?
I upgraded PCManFM alone from Stable to Testing,
and it has a lot of strange behavior.
This might be the result of a version mismatch between
PXManFM and LXDE, even though Synaptic allegedly
took care of all 'dependency' problems.
I'd be interested in any comments, good or bad,
about your upgrading experience with any LXDE
component. Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
To be a bit more specific, I note Synaptic has three LXDE
elements marked with a yellow star, indicating they are
available for 'upgrade' from my installed versions. These are
lxinput, lxsession, and lxterminal.
Comments on upgrading any or all of these are especially wanted.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have all LXDE packages upgraded. I have all packages in my system upgraded to unstable
and my system runs very smooth with no crashes. The only packages on hold in my system are all xserver-xorg packages for compatibility issues with my laptop, openoffice and packages related to it and compiz because I do not use it.
You can use Synaptic to download changelog and see if the package in question had any urgent update. The last lxsession update is flagged urgency=high
-
Senior Member
registered user
@mechjo
Where do you find any mention of urgency in Synaptic?
-
Senior Member
registered user
You select a package first, then click package menu and select Download Changelog. You will see the urgency inside the changelog
-
Senior Member
registered user
If urgency=high, what does this mean?
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can find a description of the fields in the Debian changes files in Chapter 5 - Control files and their fields of the Debian Policy Manual http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...rolfields.html.
This is a description of how important it is to upgrade to this version from previous ones.
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...ml#s-f-Urgency Further explanation is given in footnote 39 http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...notes.html#f39
The urgency affects how quickly a package will be considered for inclusion into the testing distribution and gives an indication of the importance of any fixes included in the upload.
-
Senior Member
registered user
@klauss & mecho
Thanks once again for your patient tutoring of this rank amateur.
mecho's quoted experience and klaus' quoted reference help a lot.
I can't help noting that I find this 'urgent' thing pretty well
hidden from view. Seems like an appropriate icon in Synaptic
might make this urgency a lot more obvious.
I am encouraged on both fronts to upgrade LXDE at least for the
three elements noted in my post #2. I've saved my current .img,
just in case things don't go well. I'm hoping this may remedy
my PCManFM gripes.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well, I've survived the experiment.
No change apparent to me.
Opening up to all possible repos, I find no further upgrades
available for either lxde or pcmanfm.
However, my PCManFM 'Applications' menu item still locks up.
Any hints on what it's supposed to do?
Also, concerning Edit/Preferences/Volume Management, I assume
that if the first automount checkbox is unchecked, that PCManFM
will NOT attempt to mount my hard drive sectors.
Is that correct?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
utu
@klauss & mecho
Thanks once again for your patient tutoring of this rank amateur.
mecho's quoted experience
The first time I put my hands on Linux was December last year. All because I don't like lazy OS like Windows 7, XP was kind of OK, but I got bored with it and besides I do believe in open source software. I think all knowledge should be shared and anyone should be able to learn as much as he/she wants. Knoppix got my attention because of the good learning curve it has - it makes me dig inside as much as I can
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Dell Latitude 5420 14" - Core i5-1145G7 - 8GB - 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro - WARRANTY
$276.35

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$129.95

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99