Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1

    Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.

    I have seen several reports of this problem in the forum, but no solutions.

    I tried to modify the kernel in a CD-boot Knoppix (I needed devfs support, so I grabbed the Knoppix-kernel-source package, kept the same kernel config except for devfs, and recompiled). When I boot the CD, it grabe root.img, and then gives the following message:

    Kernel panic : No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

    If I use the default boot.img, my slightly modified Knoppix CD boots fine. It's only when I try to use the image with my kernel that I have problems.

    When I made the new boot.img, I modified as little as possible. I kept the same mroot, I just replaced the kernel.

    Is there something else I'm missing? Or, does anyone else have a working boot.img that includes a kernel with devfs support?

    Thanks,
    Todd

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    35
    hmm...

    I had a similar error once....
    try re-running syslinux on your new boot.img (the one with your kernel on it)

    http://syslinux.zytor.com/

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    That is the last message but what about other messages like can the script linuxrc find your clooped image and mount it etc.

    INIT not found just mean that when the linuxrc exit, the kernel will proceed to use the new root system and search for /etc/init to run and failed. So the most likely cause(as KNOPPIX doesn't not switch real root device) would be that it failed to mount the image does the KNOPPIX fs is not 'imported' in.

    More messages are needed.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10

    Re: Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.

    Quote Originally Posted by tji
    Kernel panic : No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

    If I use the default boot.img, my slightly modified Knoppix CD boots fine. It's only when I try to use the image with my kernel that I have problems.
    I would imagine that you don't have the necessary kernel modules in your initial root filesystem (I suppose that's boot.img) to mount your root filesystem. At least, that's my experience from other distributions and from the typical behaviour of "make install" on the Linux kernel sources.

    Quote Originally Posted by tji
    When I made the new boot.img, I modified as little as possible. I kept the same mroot, I just replaced the kernel.

    Is there something else I'm missing? Or, does anyone else have a working boot.img that includes a kernel with devfs support?
    My standard workaround when trying out a custom kernel is to reuse the old initial root filesystem image for the shipped kernel and to replace the kernel and modules in that image (or rather a copy of it). I don't know how wise that is, but the standard kernel Makefiles don't really help me find a reliable alternative.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    14
    I've run into this problen myself. To be safe you should replace the kernel modules in the miniroot and recompile cloop and replace that, but this is not the cause of your problem. I beleve that your problem is caused by the init in the miniroot being uncompatable with your new kernel. In the case of knoppix init is statically linked with ash (the initial shell). So you will need to recompile ash-knoppix against your new kernel and sources(it's on Klaus's site somewhere).

    jTal

Similar Threads

  1. kernel panic: no init found.
    By Haslemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. Kernel panic : no init found.!!!!!!
    By MrAhmad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 08:23 PM
  4. Kernel panic: no init found
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 12:01 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00