-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.

Originally Posted by
tji
Kernel panic : No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
If I use the default boot.img, my slightly modified Knoppix CD boots fine. It's only when I try to use the image with my kernel that I have problems.
I would imagine that you don't have the necessary kernel modules in your initial root filesystem (I suppose that's boot.img) to mount your root filesystem. At least, that's my experience from other distributions and from the typical behaviour of "make install" on the Linux kernel sources.

Originally Posted by
tji
When I made the new boot.img, I modified as little as possible. I kept the same mroot, I just replaced the kernel.
Is there something else I'm missing? Or, does anyone else have a working boot.img that includes a kernel with devfs support?
My standard workaround when trying out a custom kernel is to reuse the old initial root filesystem image for the shipped kernel and to replace the kernel and modules in that image (or rather a copy of it). I don't know how wise that is, but the standard kernel Makefiles don't really help me find a reliable alternative.
Similar Threads
-
By Haslemer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
-
By ManiOne in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By MrAhmad in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 08:23 PM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 12:01 AM
-
By berdy in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM SERVER SLED WITH HDD SCSI 8.8GB ,P005043441, AS IS,UNTESTED
$165.00

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$250.00