Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mounting Raid Array

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4

    Mounting Raid Array

    I'm new to raids and waned to install Gentoo through Knoppix in konsole. I Googled this and searched the forums and found nothing, but can knoppix read and mount an raid array table, and if so; how would I do this so I can start installing gentoo on it?

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by paradox6996 View Post
    I'm new to raids and waned to install Gentoo through Knoppix in konsole. I Googled this and searched the forums and found nothing, but can knoppix read and mount an raid array table, and if so; how would I do this so I can start installing gentoo on it?
    The main thrust of Live CDs like Knoppix is to allow you to try stuff out, like your RAID array mounting. I don't know all the drivers included in Knoppix, but you may be able to mount a RAID array and copy stuff to it. However, since Gentoo is compiled on the target machine, AFAIK, it pretty much has to have all the sources needed, including the RAID driver.

    Perhaps what want is to use Knoppix to download the Gentoo source? You wouldn't necessarily have to have the RAID driver to download that and burn it. Sorry if I'm being dense, but it's just not clear to me what you want to do.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512

    Linux software RAID

    If you do not know how to use Linux software RAID then you could look at https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid
    There is a special page called RAID setup https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup

    You can find some installation instructions at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3 if you like to use Knoppix instead of the Gentoo LiveCD.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    There was one important thing missing in my previous post. On the webpage http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-...ickinstall.xml you can read
    Please bear in mind that the /boot and / mount points should use an older metadata format which can be specified by the --metadata=0.90 flag:

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4
    I need the raid45 module patched into the kernel is actually what I need, I just don't know how to do that with knoppix? I found this out later on after hours of reading is why it wasn't in the original post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$108.92



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99