Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: creating the iso image...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8

    creating the iso image...

    It's been a long time since I was an active linux user and this is my first time using knoppix or creating a custom live cd. That said, I'm following the Remastering Howto (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto) fairly well and everything seems to be working until I get to the point of creating the iso image.

    I input this:

    mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
    -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
    -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master


    and I get the following:

    genisoimage 1.1.10 (Linux)
    genisoimage: MIssing boot image name, use -eltorito-boot option.


    Now, according to the mkisofs man page, I'm using the -eltorito-boot option and the -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso should be the output filename, if I understand the man page correctly. I'm not entirely sure what the /mnt/hda1/knx/master path at the end is supposed to accomplish, though.


    Any suggestions how I can make this correct?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Unable to pin point your problem because I hardly remaster a CDROM/DVD, even though I consistantly remaster my compressed image.

    But allow me to say something I am pretty sure, isn't obvious the /mnt/hda1/knx/master path at the end is where the source of the data is ( ie your source files and directories for the new image ) ?

    Regarding your actual problem of "genisoimage" complaints of missing boot image name, I would like to take a guess: perhaps the file 'boot/isolinux/isolinu.bin' is missing from '/mnt/hda1/knx/master'.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    kl522, thanks. I actually figured out that the /mnt/hda1/knx/master was supposed to be the source after I posted the question. I'll check on the 'boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin' and see if it's there. Thank you, for your suggestion.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    Well, the isolinux.bin file is in the appropriate location... anyone else have any suggestions?

    Could I have something wrong with the command that I'm not seeing?

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by frankp View Post
    Well, the isolinux.bin file is in the appropriate location... anyone else have any suggestions?

    Could I have something wrong with the command that I'm not seeing?
    The remastering tutorial that you linked to in the original message appears to be oriented towards an earlier version of Knoppix. I think the problem comes from relatively small changes in "location" of stuff - perhaps that'll trigger an insight from someone else on the board who used both versions and remastered.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    We are talking about the commands issued generating a specific error. So it has nothing to do with knoppix versions. As a matter of fact, you can manually create a few directories and copy a few files on to the relevant directories (including isolinux.bin ) and issue and commands, and such is what is needed to create a isoimage for any purposes not limited to knoppix only.

    The tested result of mine gave no errors.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    I tried the command you posted, I did not get any error. So I could only suspect when you type it or you cut-and-paste it into a file ( and execute the file ), there is something wrong with the resulted script ( eg newline not continued properly ).

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    It could be a bad burn ( very common) , if you have created sha1sum, you should do a 'knoppix testcd'.

    Or it could be indeed a bad compressed image to start with. That's easy to determine too. You just cloop mount it first before you even attempt to make an ISO out of it :-

    # losetup -r /dev/cloop1 KNOPPIX
    # mkdir /tmp/tmp
    # mount -t iso9660 /dev/cloop1 /tmp/tmp -o ro,loop

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    the losetup command gives me a "bad file descriptor" error...

    ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor

    This happens when I run this command from the / directory. If I run it from anywhere else, I get KNOPPIX: No such file or directory

    If I run losetup /dev/cloop1 I get the response
    loop: can't get info on device /dev/cloop1: No such device or address

    but I get valid responses from cloop and cloop0

    Is the "bad file descriptor" some indication that the compressed image isn't good?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by frankp View Post
    the losetup command gives me a "bad file descriptor" error...

    ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor
    Yes, it shows that you have a bad compressed image to start with.
    I simply take a normal file and do a losetup on it, I get the same error :-

    Code:
              # cd /tmp
              # cp /etc/hosts hosts
              # losetup -r /dev/cloop1 hosts
    ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor
    This happens when I run this command from the / directory. If I run it from anywhere else, I get KNOPPIX: No such file or directory
    You must path the command to the right directory/file, eg :-
    # losetup -r /dev/cloop1 /some_path_some_where/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    I find it strange that your working copy of KNOPPIX is resided in /KNOPPIX. In any case, you have to know what it resides, and substitute the correct path for it.

    But whatever it is, if you have issued the command pointing to the correct KNOPPIX compressed image, the conclusion is that you have an invalid compressed image. You back to review your steps again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$368.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99