Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: creating the iso image...

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    If you are running this on a KNOPPIX system, I would like to believe that you will have these :-
    Code:
    $ ls -al /dev/cloop*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      6 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop -> cloop0
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 0 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop0
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 1 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop1
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 2 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop2
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 3 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop3
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 4 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop4
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 5 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop5
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 6 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop6
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 240, 7 2010-08-30 23:14 /dev/cloop7
    For whatever reasons if you don't have them, then you manually create them :-

    # mknod /dev/cloop1 b 240 1

    You shouldn't be using /dev/cloop or /dev/cloop0 because that's already been used by KNOPPIX.

    Yes, if the image is good, you shouldn't get any errors when you loop mount your new compressed image. But I still would like to believe that chances of a bad burn is higher. You should do a 'knoppix testcd'.

    Cheers

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    kl522, I appreciate your help with this. I get the same results you show with the ls command. My point was I know cloop1 is there but for whatever reason I get errors on the ioctl so I was checking if it was already being used. The first unused cloop is cloop1, as I'm sure you suspected, but it's not working.

    I tried the bootfrom=<iso path> but that just booted directly from the knoppix live cd for some reason and didn't verify the iso.

    booting with testcd gives me the following:

    All files OK.

    >>> Starting in Live-Mode. <<<
    >>> Please do not remove medium until shutdown! <<<
    /init: line 693: /bin/mount: Input/output error
    /init: exec: line 742: /sbin/init: Input/output error


    from here it just hangs indefinitely. This has happened on the last two images I've built and burned.

    I tried to find the /init file but can't seem to view it anywhere in my "master" file structure.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by frankp View Post
    the losetup command gives me a "bad file descriptor" error...

    ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor
    Yes, it shows that you have a bad compressed image to start with.
    I simply take a normal file and do a losetup on it, I get the same error :-

    Code:
              # cd /tmp
              # cp /etc/hosts hosts
              # losetup -r /dev/cloop1 hosts
    ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor
    This happens when I run this command from the / directory. If I run it from anywhere else, I get KNOPPIX: No such file or directory
    You must path the command to the right directory/file, eg :-
    # losetup -r /dev/cloop1 /some_path_some_where/knx/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    I find it strange that your working copy of KNOPPIX is resided in /KNOPPIX. In any case, you have to know what it resides, and substitute the correct path for it.

    But whatever it is, if you have issued the command pointing to the correct KNOPPIX compressed image, the conclusion is that you have an invalid compressed image. You back to review your steps again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height picture

Dell PERC H755 8GB NV 12Gb/s Pci-e RAID controller card 29XMF Full Height

$999.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3

$59.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00