Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: creating the iso image...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8

    creating the iso image...

    It's been a long time since I was an active linux user and this is my first time using knoppix or creating a custom live cd. That said, I'm following the Remastering Howto (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto) fairly well and everything seems to be working until I get to the point of creating the iso image.

    I input this:

    mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
    -boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
    -hide-rr-moved -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso /mnt/hda1/knx/master


    and I get the following:

    genisoimage 1.1.10 (Linux)
    genisoimage: MIssing boot image name, use -eltorito-boot option.


    Now, according to the mkisofs man page, I'm using the -eltorito-boot option and the -o /mnt/hda1/knx/knoppix.iso should be the output filename, if I understand the man page correctly. I'm not entirely sure what the /mnt/hda1/knx/master path at the end is supposed to accomplish, though.


    Any suggestions how I can make this correct?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Unable to pin point your problem because I hardly remaster a CDROM/DVD, even though I consistantly remaster my compressed image.

    But allow me to say something I am pretty sure, isn't obvious the /mnt/hda1/knx/master path at the end is where the source of the data is ( ie your source files and directories for the new image ) ?

    Regarding your actual problem of "genisoimage" complaints of missing boot image name, I would like to take a guess: perhaps the file 'boot/isolinux/isolinu.bin' is missing from '/mnt/hda1/knx/master'.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    kl522, thanks. I actually figured out that the /mnt/hda1/knx/master was supposed to be the source after I posted the question. I'll check on the 'boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin' and see if it's there. Thank you, for your suggestion.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    Well, the isolinux.bin file is in the appropriate location... anyone else have any suggestions?

    Could I have something wrong with the command that I'm not seeing?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    I tried the command you posted, I did not get any error. So I could only suspect when you type it or you cut-and-paste it into a file ( and execute the file ), there is something wrong with the resulted script ( eg newline not continued properly ).

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by frankp View Post
    Well, the isolinux.bin file is in the appropriate location... anyone else have any suggestions?

    Could I have something wrong with the command that I'm not seeing?
    The remastering tutorial that you linked to in the original message appears to be oriented towards an earlier version of Knoppix. I think the problem comes from relatively small changes in "location" of stuff - perhaps that'll trigger an insight from someone else on the board who used both versions and remastered.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    We are talking about the commands issued generating a specific error. So it has nothing to do with knoppix versions. As a matter of fact, you can manually create a few directories and copy a few files on to the relevant directories (including isolinux.bin ) and issue and commands, and such is what is needed to create a isoimage for any purposes not limited to knoppix only.

    The tested result of mine gave no errors.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8

    Fixed but still broken

    Well I finally got the file to build but now when I boot from the iso I created, I get the following error:

    Compressed KNOPPIX image is broken: /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX on /dev/sr0 on /mnt-system type iso9660 (ro, relatime)
    [ 2.097791] cloop: Initializing cloop v2.631
    [ 2.100441] cloop: loaded (max 8 devices)
    [ 2.395768] cloop: Read error 0 at pos 144 in file <NULL>, 3952 bytes lost
    [ 2.385775] cloop: Bad file, read( ) of first 4096 bytes returned 144.
    Could not mount /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX. Starting debugging Shell...

    -----------------------
    I've used all three of the command versions listed in the remastering howto on pages 14 and 15 (section "KNOPPIX Compressed Image") with no luck so far.

    It's definitely building a compressed image of some kind but I have no idea how to tell what needs to be fixed. Any suggestions?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    It could be a bad burn ( very common) , if you have created sha1sum, you should do a 'knoppix testcd'.

    Or it could be indeed a bad compressed image to start with. That's easy to determine too. You just cloop mount it first before you even attempt to make an ISO out of it :-

    # losetup -r /dev/cloop1 KNOPPIX
    # mkdir /tmp/tmp
    # mount -t iso9660 /dev/cloop1 /tmp/tmp -o ro,loop

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8
    the losetup command gives me a "bad file descriptor" error...

    ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Bad file descriptor

    This happens when I run this command from the / directory. If I run it from anywhere else, I get KNOPPIX: No such file or directory

    If I run losetup /dev/cloop1 I get the response
    loop: can't get info on device /dev/cloop1: No such device or address

    but I get valid responses from cloop and cloop0

    Is the "bad file descriptor" some indication that the compressed image isn't good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$689.00



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop picture

Cisco Business CBS110-8T-D Unmanaged Switch, 8 Port GE, Desktop

$44.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99