Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 6.2.1 Wi-Fi with WEP 128 Hex key with numbers and letters

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1

    6.2.1 Wi-Fi with WEP 128 Hex key with numbers and letters

    My WI-FI network is recognized but my WEP 128 bit Hex key combination of numbers and letters is
    apparently not recognized. Asks me for key twice then disconnects?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3
    I have a similar problem, when i create a protected wireless connection with knoppix, then the key isn't accepted on the windows 7 machine with which i try to connect.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    I have encountered this before too. But if I remember correctly, after I make the setting, then I logout and logout from Xwindow again, it then works. That's one of the quirks of network manager. Not sure if that will work for you or not.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    30
    I had a similar problem in Debian with WEP and wicd. network-manager may differ. The work around I made was to enter the HEX key and the essid with iwconfig.

    As root,
    Code:
    iwconfig eth0 key restricted <26_digit_HEX_Key>
    
    iwconfig eth0 essid <connection_ID>
    Then I successfully prompt wicd to connect or it would before I could.

    I made an alias that would run as root:
    Code:
    alias <a_connection_name>='sudo -u root iwconfig eth0 key restricted <26_digit_HEX_Key> && iwconfig eth0 essid <connection_ID>'
    Can't test this with network-manager since I am not having the problem.

    --
    Kind Regards,
    Freeman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01