Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to install softwares in knoppix on USB

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Unhappy How to install softwares in knoppix on USB

    Hi all,
    I am a windows user and been using knoppix (5.0.1) for rescue purpose for a while. my HD has crashed recently and so i want to use my USB drive to boot and use knoppix as my OS. can some one please tell me whether to use version 5 or 6 i see version 6 does not have all the programs installed as on version 5 and it goes to ADRINE by default is there a way to change this .
    i also need help to how to install additional softwares .i tried running synaptic tool using knoppix 5 but i got message that its not successfull, updating failed . can some please guide me on this
    Thanks & Regards ,
    ManojGupta.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    As this hasn't been answered, it's probably too late for the asker, but just for the record:
    Download and burn latest downloadable (currently 6.4.4), DVD version may be the safest. Install it to a pendrive, setup a persistent store, use synaptic or apt-get to install whatever programs you still are missing. Do NOT attempt at a full system upgrade unless it is absolutely necessary. When you boot from the USB, enter the options you need (always knoppix or knoppix64 for using the 64-bits kernel, adriane will give you the other, "talking" interface). Get used to working in a terminal window, if you aren't already.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I have a similar question, I have the 6.7 CD and somehow I thought there was a menu choice to burn a USB drive, but maybe I was mistaken. I'll boot up Knoppix and look again. What are we missing?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Dave
    Look at Main Menu>Preferences>Install Knoppix to Flash Disk.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    Thanks utu - I finally made it here. Have the USB drive working and on to many more questions. Installed unbelievably fast.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1

    Installing additional software

    Hello
    I'd like to ask you for a little help. I've installed Knopix 7.0. When running 32bit version I can run some installation program but I need 64bit (it doesn't work under 32bit), when I've boot system in 64bit version the same program doesn't work; simply I got this message:

    root@Microknoppix:/mnt/disk# ./INSTALL
    copying necessary files to /tmp/***_install_tmp4503/
    Executing /tmp/***_install_tmp4503/instcore
    /tmp/***_install_tmp4503/INSTALL: line 95: /tmp/***_install_tmp4503/instcore: No such file or directory

    Can somebody help me with my problem? I'm just a beginner.

    Thank you in advance for any help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller picture

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller

$68.99