Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Photo Recovery - Can't See All files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3

    Photo Recovery - Can't See All files

    I have about ten years worth of digital photos on my Gateway NV79 laptop running Windows 7. The machine was frozen and wouldn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete so we eventually had to power down by holding the power button. Since then I have been unable to reboot the machine. Using a separate forum I was able to get some graphics issues with Knoppix and transfer most of my files off to a USB drive. The only place where I'm stuck is with more recent photos that had been imported using Windows Live Photo Gallery. For some reason, thee folders appear but are empty. I can say that the folder names are a bit verbose, for example '6/1/2010 - 6/5/2010 - Graduation'. I don't know if the slashes or spaces could be causing an issue with seeing the full path to the photos or if maybe there is some type of rights issue. Of course, the photos may just not be there but I can't come up with a reason why I'd see the folders but not the files. The computer is under warranty, but they'll probably just swap out the hard drive and then the photos would definitely be lost forever. By the way, I looked at some of the manuals but haven't had much luck learning the command line interface so I've been using PCMan exclusively. Any ideas? I'm going to give Recuva a try next to see if I see any different results.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Boot from the live CD and open a terminal and start photorec
    Photorec is recovery software so there is a chance that you may get some data back. If some files have been partially overwritten then they may not
    be recoverable. Here is a step by step tutorial:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream GXW4501 Digital VoIP Gateway Works TESTED W Box It Came In. picture

Grandstream GXW4501 Digital VoIP Gateway Works TESTED W Box It Came In.

$329.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T73W IP Phone VoIP Desk Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black picture

Yealink SIP-T73W IP Phone VoIP Desk Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black

$70.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Poly Edge E450 IP VoIP Business Desk Phone Black PoE HD Voice Speakerphone NEW picture

Poly Edge E450 IP VoIP Business Desk Phone Black PoE HD Voice Speakerphone NEW

$149.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal

$98.95