Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Photo Recovery - Can't See All files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3

    Photo Recovery - Can't See All files

    I have about ten years worth of digital photos on my Gateway NV79 laptop running Windows 7. The machine was frozen and wouldn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete so we eventually had to power down by holding the power button. Since then I have been unable to reboot the machine. Using a separate forum I was able to get some graphics issues with Knoppix and transfer most of my files off to a USB drive. The only place where I'm stuck is with more recent photos that had been imported using Windows Live Photo Gallery. For some reason, thee folders appear but are empty. I can say that the folder names are a bit verbose, for example '6/1/2010 - 6/5/2010 - Graduation'. I don't know if the slashes or spaces could be causing an issue with seeing the full path to the photos or if maybe there is some type of rights issue. Of course, the photos may just not be there but I can't come up with a reason why I'd see the folders but not the files. The computer is under warranty, but they'll probably just swap out the hard drive and then the photos would definitely be lost forever. By the way, I looked at some of the manuals but haven't had much luck learning the command line interface so I've been using PCMan exclusively. Any ideas? I'm going to give Recuva a try next to see if I see any different results.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    282
    Boot from the live CD and open a terminal and start photorec
    Photorec is recovery software so there is a chance that you may get some data back. If some files have been partially overwritten then they may not
    be recoverable. Here is a step by step tutorial:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive Go 256GB USB 3.0/Lightning Auto Backup Swivel picture

SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive Go 256GB USB 3.0/Lightning Auto Backup Swivel

$45.00



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



LOT 32GB 64GB 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Retractable Thumb Drive picture

LOT 32GB 64GB 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Retractable Thumb Drive

$879.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$89.99