Note: This script is for those using the Knoppix 6.0.1 on their flash drives.
the newer 6.2.1 works fine and this script is not needed for it.

The C C++ compiler, V4.3.3 seems to work with Vice source code, which is why I still have the old Knoppix version on a 4GB flash drive.

The newer C++ V4.4.4 gives errors when compiling Vice 2.2.
The Debian install of Vice works, but the mouse pointer doesn't work with Geos 2.0 for the 64 version.
The compiled version of Vice works fine.

You have to Start up Knoppix 6.0.1, Go to console mode.
Tar vice with -czvpPf /mnt/sdaxx/Vice.tgz /usr/bin/vice /usr/share/man/man1/ (64, 128, pet, and other man docs) \
> ..path to Basic and Kernal roms /root/.vice/vicerc (to save your settings).
This will save Vice with paths and permissions as a tarball on your hard drive.

Now Start Knoppix 6.2.1 and mount the drive that has the tarred vice.
Use -xzvpPf /mnt/sdaxx/Vice.tgz to install vice to memory.
When you shut down Vice should be in the Knoppix image.

This works for me O.K.
flying2Eagles

P.S., I guess by now you can tell I am a long time Commodore fan.
I used to go to A.C.U.G. in Burlington, N.C., a computer Club once a month on Thursdays.
Sadly, it no longer exist now. (This was back in the 90's).